Feministe occasionally aims to subvert the dominant link paradigm.
• Hugo on “How To Shut Your Wife Out of Business”
• Media Girl highlights pro-consumer politicians. My state’s Evan Bayh is thankfully on the list. I’m willing to bet that if Bayh ever ran for the presidency, he’d be a shoo-in. Also, “Why Abortions Should Be Free,” where she battles the perception that abortion is the “easy way out.” I don’t agree with the entirety of this post, but Morgaine Swann makes a compelling case. AND, “Equality? Hell, How About Reparations?” Media Girl is on a roll.
• Shannon posts a Clue By Four exercise:
1) Read a major magazine like Newsweek or Time. If most of a story is about white people, from a white viewpoint (like a white person talking about the situation in Iraq) or features mostly white people, mark that story as ‘white’, but if it’s about people of color from a person of color viewpoint, or features (not just tokens, y’all. They have to be the main character) people of color, mark that a POC story. See the difference?
2) Minorities comprise about 25% of the US population. If less than 1/4th of the major characters (or even minor characters) are PoC, mark that show as ‘white’. See the difference?
3) When going to class, see who is mentioned. Are there any POC mentioned at all? Probably not.
4) Read “See You When We Get There“, how does the white author point out the difficulties of telling the stories of people of color? Do you think that if the teachers featured in this book were trying to get a book deal on a similar project that it’d be as easy? Bonus: What style is the author using? (hint: this probably has nothing to do with race) Double Bonus: Why do you think conservatives have the free time to bash anything that MIGHT make them think?
• Pinko Feminist Hellcat on the “Homosexual Agenda” and Emily on Subtle Examples of Homophobia, Heterosexism, and Sexism.
• Mac-A-Ronies has the “Ho” Story on Jeff Gannon.
• When the Bough Breaks: Mac tears apart the notion that the economy is failing because us breeders aren’t having more children.
• Flea has released the finalists for the Best and Worst Stripper Names contest. Mine was Ms. Kitty Trail, which sounds like something someone leaves behind after scraping her ass across the driveway.
• Go wish Dr. Myers a happy birthday. Or even better, write something scientific for him and send him a link. He compelled me to take this quiz which informs me I’m all man, baby.
Your Brain is 33.33% Female, 66.67% Male
• And finally, another quiz:
| You scored as alternative. You’re partially respected for being an individual in a conformist world yet others take you as a radical. You have no place in society because you choose not to belong there – you’re the luckiest of them all, even if your parents are completely ashamed of you. Just don’t take drugs ok?