Lauren founded this blog in 2001.

1. MinnObserver
    MinnObserver April 29, 2005 at 3:03 pm |

It really should come as no surprise to anyone that the Catholic Church hearts rapists.

2. Blue
    Blue April 29, 2005 at 3:19 pm |

The ignorance of people makes me want to go and live on an island by my self.

3. Kyra
    Kyra April 29, 2005 at 4:23 pm |

Um, isn’t there something somewhere about “equal protection under the law” or something like that?

This is like, conspiracy to force someone to undergo a pregnancy she doesn’t want.

And aside from that, I can’t find anything un-profane to say either.

4. p
    p April 29, 2005 at 4:49 pm |

and people wonder why i don’t bother being a practicing catholic. more than angry, i’m saddened by this, for the women who are kept in the dark. ugh. i have a feeling, though, that once i’m done being depressed i’m gonna be really pissed off and unable to talk to anyone about this without using a lot of curse words.

5. Rana
    Rana April 29, 2005 at 5:41 pm |

I can’t come up with a non-profane reaction, either.

6. JerseyExport
    JerseyExport April 29, 2005 at 5:53 pm |

If you don’t want to be profane, I’ll do it. THOSE GODDAMNED MISOGYNIST SHIT-HEADED FUCKTARDS! Doesn’t really make me feel better, but hopefully they’ll ge the pants sued off them.

7. Lauren
    Lauren April 29, 2005 at 6:06 pm |

Thanks, Jersey. My brain hurt too much to make a real statement. You’ve done it for me.

8. ol cranky
    ol cranky April 29, 2005 at 7:03 pm |

They are forcing the possibility of conception? That is beyond reprehensible. If they refuse treatment or referral for treatment under these circumstances, they should be required to PAY for either any abortion the victim chooses to have should she become pregnant OR all medical costs related to a pregnancy she chooses to continue as well as child support shoould she choose to raise any resultant child. There is no logical reason to think a high dose of progesterone would make the uterus inhospitable to implantation of a zygote (I’d think quite the opposite to be honest), so if there is a secondary mechanism of action to EC that renders an ova more resistant to penetration (or negatively impacts the ability of sperm to fertlize an egg) post ovulation they cannot claim it as an abortifacient. While I understand they consider “spilling” of the seed a sin, by treating victims this way they make themselves complicit in the rape as well as any resultant abortion (which, I believe, are much bigger sins). No doubt this guy will insist the biological father (aka the rapist) must not be forced to pay any child support but should be permitted rights and access to his child (and/or the right to be the final arbiter of the decision regarding terminating or continuing the pregnancy)

9. carla
    carla April 29, 2005 at 9:06 pm |

The worst part about this, at least in my geography..is the fact that Catholic hospitals practically have a monopoly around here.

To my knowledge, there is one public teaching hospital that’s not religiously affiliated. The rest here are all Catholic. The closest one to me is one of them.

10. Cara
    Cara April 29, 2005 at 11:10 pm |

Jesus Christ.

(And I don’t meant that in a religious sense.)

11. The Disenchanted Forest
    The Disenchanted Forest April 29, 2005 at 11:21 pm |

The Unconscionable Clause

I’m sure you’ve read all the debates back and forth about Pharmacists and other healthcare providers not wanting to be involved in abortion, anything they consider to possibly impede implantation of a fertilized ova in a woman’s uterus (ova+uterus=f…

12. Jennifer
    Jennifer April 30, 2005 at 11:52 am |

It seems to me that Catholicism (a) doesn’t respect women, (b) doesn’t respect anyone who isn’t Catholic’s decisions that might not coincide with their dogma, (c) doesn’t respect anyone’s right to choice… why on earth should I respect a religion that doesn’t respect me?

13. Ann Bartow
    Ann Bartow May 1, 2005 at 10:02 am |

Please read the story at the below link and help me generate some publicity, it may be this woman’s only hope…

14. Something Requisitely Witty and Urbane

Patterns…

One of the reasons why I write this blog, and the thing that most influences my writing, is because I have many friends of mine who read this blog.