Because I Can

Jolly good, wot! Anyone for tennis? That’ll be ten ponies, guv. You’re the epitome of everything that is english. Yey :) Hoist that Union Jack!

How British are you?

this quiz was made by alanna

Cleaning house and mowing lawn today. Thrilling. Are these chores British?

Post navigation

10 comments for “Because I Can

1. jam
    May 4, 2005 at 3:22 pm

my dear chap! twas a British man born & bred who invented lawnmowing! (if only he could have lived to see the ingenious uses his stout hearted countrymen have found for his ingenious device…)

you may also thank a limey for your vacuum cleaner…

2. Thomas
    May 4, 2005 at 3:27 pm

I also scored 100% — but I must point out the conflation of British with English. Not all of the British Isles is England, and not all Britons are English.

3. randomliberal/Robert
    May 4, 2005 at 5:03 pm

Interesting…I scored 100% also, but I guessed on halfish of them. The English appear to be quite predictable…or something.

4. randomliberal/Robert
    May 4, 2005 at 5:07 pm

Testing out different answers, it seems to be kind of arbitrary. Or maybe they just don’t care if you know where the coastal towns are.

5. May 4, 2005 at 7:11 pm

Thomas, don’t stress. . .there are many of us that know England is just one kingom in the UK and that the UK isn’t the 51st state (it’s the 52nd. ..after Canada which we just let think they’re an actual country).

6. May 5, 2005 at 7:14 am

Some of the answers are wrong, but never mind. For instance Fish’n’Chips (it ain’t written with an and) may be the most popular takeaway food, but when you factor home-cooking, restaurants and flavoured crisps, curry would be the most popular – except maybe sandwiches or toast! Who doesn’t eat toast?

Q1 – it isnt Big Ben. Big Ben is the bell, that is just a clock.
    Q5 – well sort of. Noone says apples and pears, the slang is “apples” (pears is the rhyming couplet)

Toodlepip!

7. May 5, 2005 at 10:16 am

“Apples and pears” – my (English) dad used to tell me to run “Up the apples and pears!” in reference to the outdoor stairs of our apartment complex when I was 5. Remember it vividly as it irritated me to no end that he wouldn’t use the “proper” words for things. That was 22 years ago, when we had just emigrated to Canada.

8. May 6, 2005 at 4:42 am

Your dad has been wrong for 22 years then. Non cockneys may say apples and pears, but that doesn’t change the fact that the correct word for stairs is apples.

Read this page.

9. Michelle B.
    May 6, 2005 at 7:21 am

I said 22 years ago to suggest that things might have changed since. As for “correct” slang…it’s slang. It does vary between regions and people. Sheesh. Just pointing out an example of people who *do* say that for a bit of amusement.

10. May 6, 2005 at 3:51 pm

Last time I checked the government ran my little country, not just Blair single-handedly… And I’m pretty sure chicken tikka was voted the nation’s favourite food!

*NB – pedantry is very British