About Jill

jill

Jill is a 20-something Seattle native turned New Yorker. She graduated from New York University with a BA in Journalism and Politics and a minor in Gender and Sexuality Studies. At NYU, she served as opinion editor of the Washington Square News, where she wrote a weekly column on feminist issues, reproductive rights and other lefty stuff. She is now in law school at NYU , and hopes to eventually pursue a career in international human rights, focusing on reproductive health and access to family planning tools.

In addition to blogging at Feministe, Jill also writes for the Huffington Post and Ms. JD. Her work has appeared in the Yale Journal of Law and Feminism, Alternet, Women’s eNews, and the NYU School of Law Alumni Magazine. Her stories have been picked up by the LA Times, the Chicago Sun-Times, the National Organization for Women, Women for Humanity, the Alliance for Microbicide Development, and the National Adoption Foundation. She has served as an editor at the Washington Square News, the New York University Review of Law and Social Change, and the NYU School of Law Alumni Magazine.

She loves to travel, has lived in Italy twice (Florence and Sardinia), and spent the past summer living and working in Greece, in a small town outside of Athens. She is currently studying in Hamburg, Germany. She has a slight obsession with Tom Robbins books (highly recommended: “Skinny Legs and All”) and Burt’s Beeswax chapstick, and is addicted to NPR, the New Yorker and the New York Times. Her favorite indulgences include red red wine, sushi, a good cappuccino, and lingerie she can’t afford. You can get a glimpse of her not-so-glamorous New York life and her international adventures here, or you can just buy her presents. She loves presents. Someday she will live in Paris.

Her dislikes include Everybody Loves Raymond, network news, Tucker Carlson and other bow-tied right-wing pundits, Aerosmith, bad puns, California rolls, people who refer to themselves in the third person, and the smell of baby powder. She really, really hates donuts. And she is thrilled to be blogging at Feministe.

You can contact Jill at Jill -dot- Filipovic -at- gmail -dot- com. If you’re trying to get ahold of all three of the Feministe bloggers, you can reach them jointly at feministe -at – gmail -dot- com.

Don’t forget that you can Shop Feministe! And if you’re feeling generous and want to support the Feministe crew, click the button below.

Blogroll:

About Jill

This entry was posted in Blogging and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to About Jill

1. Dylan says:

Looking forward to your posts, Jill!

2. Elayne Riggs says:

Looking forward to reading you here, Jill (and to meeting you sometime soon – after all, we’re both here in NYC)!

3. Joel says:

Welcome Jill: And good luck.

4. Kim Wells says:

I agree with you on the “Everybody Loves Raymond” thing– I always respond “I don’t love him! So not everybody!!” :) But I disagree about Aerosmith. So I can see that I will have to watch you very carefully– you will be right and wrong. :)

Really. What’s there not to like about Aerosmith? ;)

5. Welcome, welcome. Two. Two bloggers, ah, ah, ah.

I’m with Jill on Aerosmith. They were fairly good back in the day, but they’ve more than overstayed their welcome. They should have retired just after re-mixing “Walk This Way” with Run DMC.

6. The Heretik says:

Welcome dog loving Jill!

7. janet says:

Welcome, and good luck. And I just want to say that I totally support you on the donut thing.

8. jackie says:

who doesn’t like donuts?!?! other than janet and jill, that is?

this is such a great idea, I’m so excited to read the upcoming genius here.

but seriously, reinvestigate donuts. not even a good glazed Krispy Kreme?

9. Pingback: Pen-Elayne on the Web

10. Roxanne says:

Welcome Aboard!

11. Jessica says:

Yay Jill! Two of my fave bloggers in one place…love it.

12. janet says:

Aak! No, not the glazed ones! Sorry, but the only kind I can eat are the “plain old fashioned” ones.

I have a theory about something I call “the sweet hierarchy.” I believe that every person has one, but each person’s is unique. Basically, when it comes to eating sweets, each of us has a fairly stable hierarchy of what to eat if you have a choice. At the top of my sweet hierarchy is bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. Then ice cream (almost any kind, except if it contains foreign objects such as pretzels or raw cookie dough). Then fruit pastries (apple pie, etc.). Then eclairs. Donuts are near the bottom, and at the very bottom — candy corn.

13. I consider you to be my “blogging sister,” Jill. Congratulations!

14. Chris T. says:

Welcome! I read Third World Agenda with pleasure the last few months and look forward to seeing your posts over here. :-)

15. Ryan says:

I’m a regular commenter here, and I feel a bit shamed for not welcoming you sooner, Jill.

I’ve actually authored (offered?) a few posts here. If you’d like the links, just email me.

From the tone and subject matter of your first couple posts, I’m really looking forward to what you have to say. Pull no punches!

16. Linnaeus says:

Back after a month in Philadelphia.

Greetings, Jill, from Seattle. If you’re a New Yorker at heart, that’s cool…more room for me here in the Emerald City! :)

17. Linnaeus says:

And as for doughnuts, too bad you don’t like them since you will be denying yourself the sublime pleasure of eating paczki.