20 comments for “Hard Science

1. Bertson
    June 29, 2005 at 5:33 pm

Having a small penis in a flaccid state seems like a good thing to me. It shrivels up and gets out of the way. Most stuff I’ve read says that flaccid size doesn’t have too much of an impact on erect size.

2. michelle b.
    June 29, 2005 at 6:29 pm

That’s a LOT shorter than average (about half). Where did they come up with this magic number to determine what is “small”? Because it’s low enough to make sure pretty much any penis would be rendered ‘not small’. Sounds like the equivalent of an A cup to me. In which case, time to strip the word “petite” off the bra boxes and start telling A-cup women that their breasts aren’t small at all, they’re normal.

3. June 29, 2005 at 7:01 pm

What about the men who think their penises are gigantic?

4. June 29, 2005 at 7:38 pm

Especially considering that penis length in flaccid state can vary widely in the same penis, depending on variables such as room temperature and emotional condition and the like. Probably barometric pressure as well, for all I know.

5. June 29, 2005 at 7:40 pm

The water was cold!

6. June 29, 2005 at 8:36 pm

Like a frightened turtle!

7. DEQ
    June 29, 2005 at 9:48 pm

I’m not sure if the paper actually says that most men are mistaken about relative penis sizes. Under “Methods,” it says: “Every patient was informed that if his flaccid and stretched penis size was 4 cm and 7 cm or more, respectively, it was considered normal.” But the fact that the researchers told subjects that 7 cm was normal (7 cm, for those of you playing at home, is roughly2.75 inches) doesn’t mean that 7 cm is, in fact, normal. It seems more plausible to me that the researchers learned that men are eager to believe that their penises are normal. This is consistent, I think, with the stated conclusions.

8. Scott1960
    June 29, 2005 at 10:16 pm

I’m just happy to be hung like a human, period.

9. June 29, 2005 at 10:33 pm

It’s not everyday that I think of GG Allin. I don’t recall the actual quote, but he said something along the lines of “you’re born with one size, and you only live once”.

(Not that anyone should model his or her life after Allin’s.)

Now, what I want to know is why I never learned what the actual average penis is in my comprehensive sex ed. course back in the 8th grade.

10. June 29, 2005 at 11:33 pm

Woo hoo! I guess I won’t have to buy that monster truck after all!

11. June 30, 2005 at 2:41 am

I’m not so sure about that bell curve. If the statistics are correct, my cat’s probably about as well hung as ~25% of all men.

12. June 30, 2005 at 3:48 am

Vavoom, your cat is hung like a cougar. Congrats.

13. June 30, 2005 at 8:42 am

For a visual representation, here is a penis size bell curve.

but that graph is much smaller than…

oh.

never mind.

14. Pingback: Liberal Serving
  15. June 30, 2005 at 1:56 pm

I won’t pretend to be an expert on this, but the reasons why people are so self-conscious about penis length or breast size leaves me pretty dumbfounded. Newsflash: everybody’s bodies are different – including the size, shape and girth of said appendages.

However, I think size does matter to a certain extent. Just like penises come in all sizes and shapes, the size of a woman’s vagina also varies across the board; it’s just not physically obvious. If a man with a 9 inch penis has sex with a girl who has a vagina 4 inches deep, they are probably going to have a hard pleasing each other that way – and vise versa. If there is a close match in size, sex will, no doubt, be great. There are certainly many wonderful ways that couples can satisfy each other sexually without actually having sex……but I digress.

16. June 30, 2005 at 2:26 pm

I figure one twice as big would have gotten me in twice the trouble……..I don’t think I would have survived. Who said be grateful for the little things in life?

17. June 30, 2005 at 4:29 pm

maria muldaur is still trying to forget that song with the line, or maybe the title, “it ain’t the meat, it’s the motion.”

18. June 30, 2005 at 7:53 pm

… I had no idea the average was that small.

I feel huge.

19. jam
    July 1, 2005 at 7:19 am

hee hee!

you all said “penis”!

20. July 3, 2005 at 9:32 am

Hail Eris!

And I never even suspected that I might be gargantuan…Incidentally, I checked all but one of your trackbacks (not being into pedophilia) awhile ago, and the carnage was blood-curdling.;-{P}

Snarky