Lauren founded this blog in 2001.

1. NuggetMaven
    NuggetMaven September 5, 2005 at 1:24 am |

Lime? Is that your magic? Maybe next year I’ll get on the stick and grow some ‘maters off my balcony. I gotta tend to my pesky carpenter bee situation first, tho. Lovely tomatoes! I bought a sack of organic Long Island beefsteaks, and plan on canning the left overs… perhaps do up a batch of this great tomato-mint indian sauce I do. The acidity of the tomatoes lends itself very nicely to canning. What are you going to do with them?

2. Lauren
    Lauren September 5, 2005 at 1:26 am |

Here’s the thing. This was my first garden and thinking I wouldn’t be able to keep anything alive I plants twenty plus tomato plants. I’m trying to GET RID OF THEM! I don’t want to see another tomato until next year.

Then again, all the tomato sauce and salsa has been particularly nice. Maybe next year I’ll try canning.

3. Lauren
    Lauren September 5, 2005 at 1:30 am |

And yes, the garden was limed last fall and again this spring. Additionally, the man whose garden this was before me was religious about mulching, using leaves, grass clippings, and household waste. This is some seriously fertile soil.

4. aidan
    aidan September 5, 2005 at 2:05 am |

this is the most important contest of them all, and the publicity you will win from this will surely outshine any major media outlet such as CNN. i wanted to fiddle around a make some cheesy jpeg-awards, but decided maybe next year. congratulations!!!

5. Amanda
    Amanda September 5, 2005 at 8:37 am |

*burning with jealousy*

Wait until next year, though. Now that I’ve learned a valuable lesson about how poor the soil at Mouse Manor is, I’m going to be doing things a lot differently next year.

6. Bill W
    Bill W September 5, 2005 at 9:27 am |

Yikes, how much do those things weigh? And do they go well with giant zucchini?

7. dread pirate roberts
    dread pirate roberts September 5, 2005 at 10:35 am |

congratulations!!! quartered tomatoes freeze nicely. and they are halfway to sauce when thawed.