Is It Really a Hearing If Everyone’s Turned a Deaf Ear?

Borrowing Roxanne’s title because it is just too perfect.

I watched a good portion of the Roberts hearings yesterday on C-SPAN, a process so boring and circular that it put me to sleep for a three-hour-long unexpected nap. I kept waiting for the Democrats to hand his ass to him — call me naive — but all we got was a bit of grandstanding and snark, window dressing on a smooth confirmation. Some Republican idiot speechified on the evils of abortion for over five minutes without asking a question. The Dems were no better, allowing Roberts to bob and weave his way past their questions

In case you were wondering, this is the “important shit” and the big guys have a handle on it. Just make sure you get your permission slip before you walk out of the line.

Finally, I noticed more than a few bloggers who enjoyed raking Markos over the coals for his saying he was not going to sweat the “pie ad” and would concentrate on the important stuff had no blogging on Roberts today. Love that commitment to women’s issues from those bloggers.

Well, guess what. This IS the important stuff. And guess again — Markos gave me carte blanche to blog Roberts throughout the day.

I hope folks remember that when they are again tempted to attack daily kos as lacking commitment to women and their rights.

Kevin Drum is right when he calls the Roberts hearings one big “Kabuki dance,” and I’d be loathe not to point out that Armando’s blathering is a big ol’ show as well. This isn’t about the right to privacy or access to reproductive medical care, for the kossacks this is about towing the party line, acknowledging abortion rights only when they’re convenient.

Really, a quote like that is Christmas in July for feminist bloggers. Armando should know by now that us feminists mock like champions and we ain’t gonna let that one slide.

For us, this is the big boys selling out our freedom while we’re instructed to sit back and let those with real “commitment to women’s issues” call the shots. And if that doesn’t bring the funny, I don’t know what does.

A hearty fuck you right back at ya, Armando. And fuck the Democrat sell-outs, too, while you’re at it.

UPDATE: Amanda and PFH are on it.

This entry was posted in Blogging, Feminism, Reproductive Rights and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Is It Really a Hearing If Everyone’s Turned a Deaf Ear?

1. bitchphd says:

Huh. I’ve done nothing *but* blog about Roberts since the hearings began. And I also note that both Drum and Kos make blogging their full-time job (as does Yglesias), which few (if any?) of the feminist bloggerrs do. And Bush v. Choice has been liveblogging the hearings.

In other words, they’re talking out their ass. But hey, feminists are indistinguishable from scarecrows, really: basically made out of straw.

2. Roxanne says:

I sense that you’re holding back here, Lauren.

3. Pingback: The Heretik

4. Sheelzebub says:

For once, I agree with Kevin.

It is a fucking Kabuki dance, and if Amando expects me to thank him for finally kindasortamaybe admitting that choice is an issue–for now at least, while it’s convenient–he’d better think again.

5. binky says:

I know some folks from here drove over to protest at the opening of the Roberts hearings. We talked about why I wasn’t more fired up about doing something to protest or try to halt the confirmation. Basically it’s because – as said above – I believe it’s a done deal. Not that I don’t wish otherwise. Not that I don’t think we should register our outrage that it is. Roberts’ head would have to spin around and green shit would have to come out of his mouth to make the Senate even think he was not qualified. Several of the “judicial watchers” in my circle are already looking to the next nomination, and getting ready for that.

Maybe it’s alienation and depression, but at this point I don’t see the utility of focuusing more energy on Roberts. I think it’s more of a “pick your battles” kind of thing anyway. There’s a local choice conflict in my town that I can actually do something about and possibly impact. As much as I hate to say it, I just don’t have the energy for Roberts too.

6. Pro-life atheist Nat Hentoff is speaking out loudly against Roberts, if that’s any consolation.

7. It’s pretty funny to see a guy arrguing that the (generally vacuous) content of hearings that almost nobody watches will have a huge political impact. Right. The hearings would be worth watching if there was some chance that Roberts would be defeated, but–and I say this as a judicial politics scholar–Kevin is obviously right. (Armondo also seems to be under the impression that the Warren Court’s tenure extended several decades more than it did in each direction, but that’s another story…)

8. Amanda says:

Atheists of all stripes should be against him–he’s probably against the separation of church and state even more than Scalia.

9. Ann Bartow says:

It’s been nice to see Kos support Chuck Pennacchio in Pennsylvania against Robert Antichoice Casey Jr. But I’m not holding my breath. Because it gives me a headache.

I personally would have liked the Dems to boycott the confirmation hearings to draw attention to Bush’s refusal to turn over documents that they requested, and as I understand it, are entitled to see. Oh well, ten years from now we might get to see what is being hidden.

Today Roberts refused to comment on the Supreme Court’s recent decision in Kelo, an important eminent domain (“takings”) case. As Digby and others noted, every Supreme Court Justice rendered an opinion on the merits of Kelo, in writing, that’s what judges do, but Roberts doesn’t have to say anything about anything and he knows it, and we know it. Even if someone came forward with something bombastic, Specter would accuse them of perjury like he did Anita Hill, and Roberts would still get confirmed. And women would still be the majority of the Democratic Party, and the population, and this still would count for almost nothing.

10. Roxanne says:

All this comes down to a few opportunists in the Democratic Party who want to bring along the burgeoning Latino population 10-15-20 years from now. They think the church rules them. To a point, that’s true. But that’s only because the Latino’s have no real leadership or galvanizing event. And I’ll admit that it’s quite unfair to lump all Latinos in together into one worldview. But I think that’s what’s driving some folks.

11. mythago says:

What sacred cow of Hentoff’s would Roberts be attacking?

12. I’m getting a little tired of people thinking they have the right to tell me what to write about – talk about a sense of entitlement. So what are we supposed to do – wait for the boys to tell us what to write about? Fuck that – I cover what I can, when I can. I wrote to Feinstein, and I no that was to no avail, but it’ll have a lot more impact than anything on my blog.

We all know he’s a fascist. They all know he’s a fascist. It’s not going to matter.

13. norbizness says:

Mythago: As Amanda alluded to, separation of church and state. PLus, Roberts recently wrote the opinion basically giving the Executive carte blanche to maintain the Guantanamo system, and would probably concur in American citizen Jose Padilla’s indefinite detention. Hentoff has been speaking out over shredding the Bill of Rights with terror-related initiatives, so a suck-up like Roberts would probably piss him off.