Lauren founded this blog in 2001.

1. bitchphd
    bitchphd September 14, 2005 at 1:07 pm |

Huh. I’ve done nothing *but* blog about Roberts since the hearings began. And I also note that both Drum and Kos make blogging their full-time job (as does Yglesias), which few (if any?) of the feminist bloggerrs do. And Bush v. Choice has been liveblogging the hearings.

In other words, they’re talking out their ass. But hey, feminists are indistinguishable from scarecrows, really: basically made out of straw.

2. Roxanne
    Roxanne September 14, 2005 at 1:08 pm |

I sense that you’re holding back here, Lauren.

3. The Heretik
    The Heretik September 14, 2005 at 1:20 pm |

DAMNED DEMOCRATS

John Roberts Sounds Reasonable in testimony at his Senate confirmation hearings[transcript], which may be the problem. Roberts defends a right to privacy, but won’t say whether he would uphold Roe v Wade, which may be a problem. [story]. Roberts

4. Sheelzebub
    Sheelzebub September 14, 2005 at 2:21 pm |

For once, I agree with Kevin.

It is a fucking Kabuki dance, and if Amando expects me to thank him for finally kindasortamaybe admitting that choice is an issue–for now at least, while it’s convenient–he’d better think again.

5. binky
    binky September 14, 2005 at 3:00 pm |

I know some folks from here drove over to protest at the opening of the Roberts hearings. We talked about why I wasn’t more fired up about doing something to protest or try to halt the confirmation. Basically it’s because – as said above – I believe it’s a done deal. Not that I don’t wish otherwise. Not that I don’t think we should register our outrage that it is. Roberts’ head would have to spin around and green shit would have to come out of his mouth to make the Senate even think he was not qualified. Several of the “judicial watchers” in my circle are already looking to the next nomination, and getting ready for that.

Maybe it’s alienation and depression, but at this point I don’t see the utility of focuusing more energy on Roberts. I think it’s more of a “pick your battles” kind of thing anyway. There’s a local choice conflict in my town that I can actually do something about and possibly impact. As much as I hate to say it, I just don’t have the energy for Roberts too.

6. The Raving Atheist
    The Raving Atheist September 14, 2005 at 3:00 pm |

Pro-life atheist Nat Hentoff is speaking out loudly against Roberts, if that’s any consolation.

7. Scott Lemieux
    Scott Lemieux September 14, 2005 at 5:03 pm |

It’s pretty funny to see a guy arrguing that the (generally vacuous) content of hearings that almost nobody watches will have a huge political impact. Right. The hearings would be worth watching if there was some chance that Roberts would be defeated, but–and I say this as a judicial politics scholar–Kevin is obviously right. (Armondo also seems to be under the impression that the Warren Court’s tenure extended several decades more than it did in each direction, but that’s another story…)

8. Amanda
    Amanda September 14, 2005 at 6:02 pm |

Atheists of all stripes should be against him–he’s probably against the separation of church and state even more than Scalia.

9. Ann Bartow
    Ann Bartow September 14, 2005 at 6:46 pm |

It’s been nice to see Kos support Chuck Pennacchio in Pennsylvania against Robert Antichoice Casey Jr. But I’m not holding my breath. Because it gives me a headache.

I personally would have liked the Dems to boycott the confirmation hearings to draw attention to Bush’s refusal to turn over documents that they requested, and as I understand it, are entitled to see. Oh well, ten years from now we might get to see what is being hidden.

Today Roberts refused to comment on the Supreme Court’s recent decision in Kelo, an important eminent domain (“takings”) case. As Digby and others noted, every Supreme Court Justice rendered an opinion on the merits of Kelo, in writing, that’s what judges do, but Roberts doesn’t have to say anything about anything and he knows it, and we know it. Even if someone came forward with something bombastic, Specter would accuse them of perjury like he did Anita Hill, and Roberts would still get confirmed. And women would still be the majority of the Democratic Party, and the population, and this still would count for almost nothing.

10. Roxanne
    Roxanne September 14, 2005 at 10:49 pm |

All this comes down to a few opportunists in the Democratic Party who want to bring along the burgeoning Latino population 10-15-20 years from now. They think the church rules them. To a point, that’s true. But that’s only because the Latino’s have no real leadership or galvanizing event. And I’ll admit that it’s quite unfair to lump all Latinos in together into one worldview. But I think that’s what’s driving some folks.

11. mythago
    mythago September 15, 2005 at 1:07 am |

What sacred cow of Hentoff’s would Roberts be attacking?

12. Morgaine Swann
    Morgaine Swann September 15, 2005 at 5:38 am |

I’m getting a little tired of people thinking they have the right to tell me what to write about – talk about a sense of entitlement. So what are we supposed to do – wait for the boys to tell us what to write about? Fuck that – I cover what I can, when I can. I wrote to Feinstein, and I no that was to no avail, but it’ll have a lot more impact than anything on my blog.

We all know he’s a fascist. They all know he’s a fascist. It’s not going to matter.

13. norbizness
    norbizness September 15, 2005 at 12:20 pm |

Mythago: As Amanda alluded to, separation of church and state. PLus, Roberts recently wrote the opinion basically giving the Executive carte blanche to maintain the Guantanamo system, and would probably concur in American citizen Jose Padilla’s indefinite detention. Hentoff has been speaking out over shredding the Bill of Rights with terror-related initiatives, so a suck-up like Roberts would probably piss him off.

14. Ann Bartow