Lateral Arm Movement

I’m going out of town for the weekend, so I thought I’d leave something amusing, annoying, and/or offensive for everyone to stare at in my absence.

Other than pictures of yours truly, this is the most viewed picture in my Flickr account. It is also the most “favorited.”

That, my friends, is a pictoral representation of lateral arm movement taken from a medical textbook. I know what y’all dirty people were thinking. Nasty.

17 comments for “Lateral Arm Movement

1. September 16, 2005 at 11:37 pm

He’s demonstrating the proper way to roll craps, right? Why is that nasty?

Oh…wait…you meant…gross!

2. tas
    September 17, 2005 at 5:32 am

You know, I thought I heard the sound of a kitten dying off in the distance…

3. September 17, 2005 at 9:38 am

I teach pottery, and the method method I use for creating a mug handle involves holding, in the left hand, the base of a roll of clay that is 6-8 inches in length and 1 inch in diameter, and using the right hand to firmly-but-gently stroke it from base to tip. As with everything else in pottery, this requires proper lubrication and plenty of repetition. There are some nice pictures of the process (see #5 and #6) here.

I have yet to figure out how to present this lesson in such a way that no one ends up doubled over in laughter.

4. September 17, 2005 at 9:49 am

It involves so much repetition, in fact, that it’s not just a method, it’s a “method method”. Gah. My aversion to proofreading will be my undoing, I swear.

5. September 17, 2005 at 10:02 am

There is no way. You just have to embrace the laughter. Or are you teaching kids?

6. September 17, 2005 at 10:08 am

College students. And I do laugh along with them, because it really is hysterically funny. I sometimes wonder, by the way, how many of their other teachers are endowing them with such…transferable skills.

7. September 17, 2005 at 1:52 pm

Hee hee. You said “endow.”

(Or did we decide maturity was in fashion again? If so, I didn’t get the memo.)

8. September 17, 2005 at 2:54 pm

To be quite concise, it is actually a picture of lateral and medial rotation of the shoulder, the forearm is just, um, coming along for the ride.

9. September 17, 2005 at 4:02 pm

I perform similar lateral motions multiple times a day.

I make a lot of pottery.

10. September 17, 2005 at 4:28 pm

Damn. We have a whole pottery club here!

11. Ledasmom
    September 17, 2005 at 5:54 pm

I should think the easiest way to prevent laughter would be to introduce the subject with a brisk “Now I’m going to show you how to jerk off handles!”
    The shock should keep ’em quiet for a few minutes at least.

12. September 17, 2005 at 6:28 pm

Dammit, now I’m forever doomed to think of “making pottery” as a euphemism for something else. I’d blame Raznor for this, but I realize that this is no one’s fault but my own.

Also: I forgot to mention that this process makes the handles grow longer.

13. September 17, 2005 at 6:29 pm

Is that what the guys at Poweline do when they have writers’ cramp?

14. tas
    September 17, 2005 at 6:38 pm

I dunno, Agi T. Prop. “The Big Trunk” sounds like a braggart, he might have a pair of tweezers in his sock drawer.

15. Ledasmom
    September 17, 2005 at 10:56 pm

Think that should be “handling your pottery”, Moebius.

16. OHNOES
    September 18, 2005 at 3:04 am

Also: I forgot to mention that this process makes the handles grow longer.

Yes, but only temporarily. *Grin, duck, run*

17. September 18, 2005 at 11:04 am

I was going to point out that the analogy ends there: for one, this process makes the handles grow longer, but not harder. And the handles get thinner in the process, too. In order for them to harden, you need to leave them out to dry. And at that stage, you have to handle them carefully or they’ll snap in half.

At this point I imagine the horny young male contingent of this blog’s readership deciding that perhaps their plan to join the pottery club (*) was not the clever idea it appeared to be at first.

(*) Incidentally, my club is around 85% female. Close to half of our male potters are gay. I’m sure there’s some specious argument that can be made here based on this thread, but I’ll leave someone else to make it.