Of things I love:
The Rolling Stones (favorite song: Paint it Black).
Female Chauvinist Pigs: A book I want to read.
My favorite writer Tom Robbins lands at #15 this week on the NYT non-fiction list, and is featured inside the list in today’s paper. I have not yet bought Wild Ducks Flying Backward, because I am poor, and because I have no time to read. If you’re looking for a good Robbins book to pick up, my favorite is Skinny Legs and All, but there are a great many other fabulous ones: Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, Jitterbug Perfume, etc. His style is engaging, funny and borderline insane. For example, Robbins on Debra Winger: “She’s walked a tightrope between fire and honey, between sulfur and roses, between sarcasm and succor, between monolith and disco ball.” Beautiful.
Anyone else read anything good lately?
- Magdalene & the Mermaids by Julie July 17, 2009
- So You Wanna Be a Rock n Roll Star by Cara November 22, 2007
- Review: Not Ordinarily Borrowable or, Unwelcome Advice by Thomas Thurman by Chally January 22, 2011
- The Prodigal Book Reviewer by Julie December 31, 2010
- Punk Rock, Weed, and Other Paths to Salvation by Julie January 19, 2009