Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. eRobin
    eRobin September 22, 2005 at 3:54 pm |

Hey, I get to tell my favorite Barbie story! I send my kids to a Christian pre-school so I know a bunch of Christians who fit the stereotype of the “conservative evangelical” we read about in the corporate media. At a school function, I overheard a story about a family who was shielding their daughter from Barbie, who, they thought, didn’t represent good Christian values. But at a trip to a Christian store, they broke down and got the kid a Virgin Mary doll. They got in the car – the little girl in the back seat with her new toy. Everything was quiet for a while when they heard the girl, with a tiny pile of sacred robes in her lap, say – “I knew it! I knew Mary had breasts!”

2. another lynne
    another lynne September 22, 2005 at 4:39 pm |

There’s something about these quotes from Fatima that make me think of Offred talking about the Red Center…..

3. Lauren
    Lauren September 22, 2005 at 4:40 pm |

Robin: Omigod, that’s funny.

I was obsessed with Barbie until Jr. High. My older sister destested all the Barbie stuff in the house.

In my early teen years, I took all the barbies I had, drew tattoos on them and cut off their hair.

4. Jenny
    Jenny September 22, 2005 at 11:00 pm |

lol The Barbie stories are great. :)

I, too, share the concerns over Fullah. It would be great if such a doll could be used to help women’s rights instead of harming them–but alas, that almost never seems to be the case. :(

Peace,
    Jenny

5. MaryGarth
    MaryGarth September 23, 2005 at 11:07 am |

“When a doll serves to ease you out of a life of relative freedom and into one where it seems that at least some young women feel very contrained, and where they recognize that something has been lost?”

Isn’t that what Barbie does, too, in our culture?

6. Laurie
    Laurie September 23, 2005 at 1:08 pm |

Those “less respected” careers include *anything* in the entertainment industry. Yeah, the dancers/singers/actresses are adored by their countrymen, but THEIR daughter would never be one! She’s a GOOD girl!

Feh!

7. MJ
    MJ September 25, 2005 at 1:59 am |

Barbie too has it’s own out of the norm body statistics. Big hair, big eyes, small nose & lips, huge breasts, tiny waists, perky butt and long long legs with dainty feet and slim hands.

Ken, too, muscular & not an ounce of fat. & Barbie’s new bf?

The ideal of each gender’s preference?

Hope they introduce more ‘costumes’/careers for Fulla. Doc & lawyers r not the only respectable profession..