I Build Things.

Moment of pride: Today, I built a bed:

bed

I am not what you would call either “domestic” or “handy,” so this is a proud moment.

This also means that I’m no longer sleeping on a mattress on the floor. It’s a good thing. The bed looks a little messy, and the pillows used to be white until I washed them in warm water with the red sheets, but like I said, not domestic. At least they’re a pretty color pink…

Over the past month, I have also built some drawers:

drawers

And a desk:

desk
(excuse the mess).

And by “built,” I mean “purchased in pieces and screwed together.” But still. Applause, please.

In other news, I’m having serious computer issues. Word to the wise: Do not allow NYU ITS to touch your computer, they will break it. My computer randomly shuts down, then tells me I had a massive system meltdown. Tonight, the screen started flashing on and off, and now the mouse pad barely works. Lemme tell ya, it’s a huge pain in the ass. So there’s a good chance that it will break further, and I won’t be able to post. If I’m absent all weekend, that’s why. If any of you are good at fixing computers (I think there’s something wrong with the wiring; it’s making a weird noise, and I think it’s shorting out or something) and want to fix mine, let me know. Or if there are any Dell representatives reading this and would like to replace my machine for free, I would be happy to accept that offer.

18 comments for “I Build Things.

1. Jon C.
    October 6, 2005 at 11:11 pm

Shaun’s computer crashed recently too. Obvious conclusion: Karl Rove is secretly sabotaging the computers of current and former NYU Democrats. The ITS guy who checked your machine? He gave to the RNC last election cycle. Heavily. It’s all in the FEC files.

2. Earl
    October 7, 2005 at 12:45 am

Weird noise?

If it’s rhythmic it’s because you have cats. Clean the CPU fan.

earl

3. Earl
    October 7, 2005 at 12:48 am

Ah, damn, sorry, wrong poster. Do you have cats too?

Well, that’s still my suggestion. If they’re disk drive noises, then full stop and back up anything you care about. Backed up means one of copied to external hard drive & burned to a cdrom or burned to two cdroms & verified readable on a different drive.

Pull the CDROM out to make sure it’s not an unbalanced cdrom. If you hear noises on your speaker that change in time with the motion of your mouse/mousepad, welcome to the annoying lack of electrical/magnetic isolation inside your laptop.

4. Marksman2000
    October 7, 2005 at 12:56 am

Don’t buy a Dell.

5. firefalluk
    October 7, 2005 at 5:04 am

(a) What mess? If you can see any of the desktop, then it qualifies as neat

(b) What Earl says – most likely to be either fan or CDROM if you’re getting noises

6. firefalluk
    October 7, 2005 at 5:05 am

Oh, and hearty congrats to Super Ikea Woman :)

(it’s more than I can usually manage: assembly gets delegated to my wife)

7. October 7, 2005 at 7:50 am

Hey now, don’t go around denigrating the low-mattress lifestyle. It’s a lot easier to fall into bed when you’re dead tired. OTOH, maybe I should get around to fixing up those footboards I bought two years ago and never did anything with.

8. October 7, 2005 at 9:33 am

I sleep on mattresses on the floor, too, but they’re queen-sized pillow top and a bed frame wouldn’t fit in the room (along with a twin bed, bookshelves, tv/hope chest as entertainment center, play area for Peanut, etc.).

I can’t wait to move out so I can be an Ikea freak, too, ; ).

9. October 7, 2005 at 12:46 pm

Something wrong with the wiring? Come on Jill. There’s very few (if any, to my knowledge) wires within a laptop. Internally they’re all soldered connections and latched-in items such as the hard drive, battery, cd drive, pcmcia attachments, etc.

And yeah, NYU ITS is teh suck.

10. October 7, 2005 at 1:48 pm

Neil, come over and fix it!

11. Chris
    October 7, 2005 at 4:53 pm

Well apparently you got the looks and the brains….

But I got the laundry-doing skills (??)

Who have you got to wash your clothes for the past 5 years??

12. Josh
    October 7, 2005 at 6:40 pm

I

13. October 7, 2005 at 6:59 pm

The above Chris is my sister.

But she lies. She got the looks and the brains. And the laundry-doing skills.

14. gswift
    October 7, 2005 at 7:57 pm

Noise + glitchy and shuts down? Pretty good chance that’s the fan. Would try that first just because it’s usually a cheap fix. I swapped out a fan on my desktop a few months back, and the part was only 5 bucks. It’s pretty easy on a tower, but I’ve never had to do it on a laptop.

15. October 7, 2005 at 9:23 pm

It looks like Josh’s computer broke before he finished his comment.

16. Josh
    October 8, 2005 at 8:44 am

Hahaha if you deleted the ” love my mac. :)” appended to the straggling “I”, that must be the most clever retort ever.

Otherwise, I’m an idiot. :D

17. Harrison
    October 8, 2005 at 2:30 pm

First, let me offer congratulations on the furniture assembly! I’m not that handy, either, but I can put together most of those “assembly required” furniture pieces. It’s not always easy; sometimes parts are missing (grrr) or they’re not machined well. So take a well-earned bow!

As to the computer problem…I would agree heartily with the poster who said back up your data before you do anything else. Really. Do it now. Even if you don’t lose data at the next crash, it’s worth the time and effort to backup regularly. Once that is done…

As much as I would like to meet you (I really enjoy your posts) and try to help fix your computer in person, I live in San Diego.

Do you or any of your friends know a computer geek they trust for help?

How old is your laptop? Is it out of warranty? If not, you might want to try calling Dell–they list a general support phone number as 888-560-8324. I know using a phone support line is a pain, but it might be worth a try if you’re stuck for help.

I’m sorry I don’t have some better answers for you. I wish you the best of luck.

18. rabbit
    October 10, 2005 at 11:14 am

Dells generally have good waranties, at least. So check on that. Also…next time you buy a laptop for the love of god spend the extra money to get the longest most complete warranty you can. In general, even total computer dorks are pretty mystified by what goes on inside of a laptop…so when a laptop breaks you’re stuck paying out the ass for tech support unless you have a waranty. I’m surrounded by computer geeks (and am one!), and the only person who knows anything about laptops is like a guy my dad worked with on a consulting job last year. And the parts are expensive too. So, um…buy a waranty for your laptop, it will be worth it. That is all.

(Oh, and my dad discovered that, at least with sony, you can actually renew your waranty like 6 months after it expires, so try that with Dell if yours has run out and no one can figure out whats going on with it..)