Dennis Prager on why Jews should abandon secularism and join forces with the Christian right: because universities are bad and criticising Israel is on par with anti-Semitism. Prager’s point, more specifically, is that anti-Zionism is the equivalent of anti-Semitism, and that American universities breed anti-Zionist students. Now, I’ve been at a pretty liberal American university for more than four years now, and I’m still pretty firm in my belief that Israel has a right to exist. Does that give it free reign to do whatever it wants? No, it doesn’t, and criticism of the Israeli government is often warranted. So is criticism of Palestinian leadership. And American leadership, and Saudi leadership, and French leadership, and the leadership of a whole slew of other places. Israel doesn’t get a free pass; but criticism of a government’s decisions isn’t the equivalent of anti-Semitism. For Prager to then make the jump that American Jews should abandon secularism and embrace Jerry Falwell is pretty ridiculous. Of course, individual Jewish people should do what they want; if they’re comfortable hanging out with a guy who believes they’re all going to Hell unless they accept his God as their own, that’s their business. But the secularization of American society has a history of being promoted by long-outcasted Jews, and came at least in part as a response to WWII. Advocating an end to secularism is bad for everyone — but particularly for religious minorities.
Happy Columbus Day. It’s not actually about Columbus, but maybe that’s ok.
The emotional aftermath of cosmetic surgery.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- God Hates Dudes in Dresses by Jill August 4, 2005
- Mending the church-state split by Jill July 4, 2005
- Dear Dennis Prager, “America” and “Christianity” are not synonymous by Jill December 4, 2006
- Jews are all going to Hell and Muhammad was a terrorist, but John McCain really needs your votes! by Jill April 3, 2006
- If Ann Coulter is a perfected Jew and the RNC is Heaven, then I’ll be happy to see you in Hell by Jill October 11, 2007