Friday Random Ten, 2nd Ed.

Because Lauren always beats me on this.

Pavement – Major Leagues
Pedro the Lion – Rapture
Blackstar – Definition/Redefinition
Jem – They
R Kelly – Feelin’ On Your Booty
Joss Stone – Dirty Man
Ani Difranco – Dilate
Rachel Sage – Sistersong
Beth Orton – Love Like Laughter
Busta Rhymes – What It Is Right Now

15 comments for “Friday Random Ten, 2nd Ed.

1. October 13, 2005 at 11:54 pm

OOOO!! Blackstar, Joss Stone, and Ani Difranco! Nice.

2. October 13, 2005 at 11:56 pm

1. Papa Was a Rodeo Star (Magnetic Fields) / 2. Volare (Dean Martin… no, I’m serious) / 3. It’s Her Factory (Gang of Four) / 4. Blue Kentucky Girl (Loretta Lynn) / 5. Papa Ain’t Salty (T-Bone Walker) / 6. Passport to the Future (Perrey-Kingsley) / 7. Buggin’ (Flaming Lips) / 8. I Remain Calm (The Roots) / 9. Lesson Learned (The Gossip) / 10. Breaking Up Somebody’s Home (Albert King).

Average age: 25 years, give or take.

3. October 14, 2005 at 12:13 am

R Kelly – Feelin’ On Your Booty

R. Kelly really needs to work on his titles. I’m particularly fond of “You Remind Me Of My Jeep.”

4. Harrison
    October 14, 2005 at 2:18 am

It’s either an indicator of how old I am, or an indicator of how completely “not with it” or “uncool” or “unhip” or “so 20 years ago” or whatever the term is now, but I recognize exactly three of the names of artists on this Random Ten list. And I believe I’ve actually heard Ani Difranco sing and have seen a photo of her. Joss Stone and Busta Rhymes I’ve heard of, but that’s about it. This is not in any way to criticize the list, its contents or its author; it’s simply an observation.

Popular-culturally, I’m clueless! Just thought I’d share that! ;)

5. October 14, 2005 at 10:38 am

No way, “Feelin On Your Booty” is a perfect song title if ever there was one. It gets right to the point,you know? I can appreciate that. The song is amazing too, especially the end (“your boo-ty, your boo-oo-ty, your b-b-b-b-b-boo-boo-boo-boo-oo-ty”). Seriously, download it. It cannot be beat.

Although I have to say, Trapped in the Closet is perhaps his greatest work to date. Has anyone else been following this remarkable piece of musical-drama genius? I can hardly wait for the next chapter.

6. randomliberal/Robert
    October 14, 2005 at 10:44 am

Bleh. You can have your R. Kelly. I just want to know if/when Blackstar is going to record again.

7. October 14, 2005 at 10:54 am

Mos and Talib still perform together occassionally around NY, but the last time I saw them was a year and a half ago. As far as I know, they aren’t working on anything, which is depressing. I like to think that Mos is too busy planning his wedding to me.

(and I was joking about the R Kelly this, he’s horrible. Just entertaining).

8. Linnaeus
    October 14, 2005 at 11:26 am

Late to the party, as we West Coasters often are, but here goes:

Friday Random Ten – The “I Should Jack My Neighbor’s Mercedes” Edition:

Adrenaline – Rosetta Stone
    Here – Wax Mannequin
    A Rock and A Hard Place – Sister of Mercy
    Independant Voicing – Hugh LeCaine
    Bar Star – Run Chico Run
    I Hate My Generation – Sloan

Guilty Pleasure Bonus Track: Gigolos Get Lonely Too – Morris Day and the Time.

Weird. Starts hip-hop, onto goth, then geek rock, interspersed with some random shit.

Norbiz, Papa Was a Rodeo is a fucking awesome song.

10. haydn60
    October 14, 2005 at 1:14 pm

you still believe in me – blue t-shirt
    WEILL: I’m a Stranger Here Myself – Angelina Réaux
    You’re a woman – Jana Vaccaro & Rick Relli
    WEILL: My Ship [from Lady in the Dark] – Angelina Réaux
    Double Barrel – Keith Levene
    SHOSTAKOVICH: Piano Trio Nº 2, Op. 67 (iii) – The Eroica Trio
    IVES: Quartet Nº 1, “From the Salvation Army” (i) – Emerson String Quartet
    Over the Summer – Sparks
    SHOSTAKOVICH: String Quartet Nº 8, in c, Op. 110: Largo – The Eroica Trio
    Raiding the 20th Century – A History of The Cutup – Strictly Kev

11. October 14, 2005 at 7:52 pm

Thelonius Monk with John Coltrane: Sweet & Lovely
    Jimmy Yancey: I Love To Hear My Baby Call My Name
    Blind Willie Johnson: Can’t Nobody Hide From God
    Black Lodge Singers: Sponge Bob Square Pants
    Burning Spear: Jah Dub (“Glory Be to Jah”)
    Sinead O’Connor: Fire On Babylon
    Bush Chemists: Heartical Dub
    The Meters:: Hey Pocky Way
    Creedence Clearwater: Born on the Bayou
    Neil Young: Falling off the face of the Earth

12. randomliberal/Robert
    October 14, 2005 at 11:39 pm

Well, I was going to do a coolness rating this week, just because, but then song number 6 came up and killed everything. So here’s my ratingless Friday Random Ten™:

#) Artist — “Song”

1) M.I.A. — “10 Dollar”
    2) Fear Factory — “Edgecrusher”
    3) Sonny Rollins — “Sonnymoon for Two”
    4) Ravi Shankar — “Hey Nath”
    5) Khaled — “Sahra”
    6) Chris Cagle — “Chicks Dig It” (WTF?!?!?!?!?!)
    7) Trivium — “The End of Everything”
    8) Miles Davis — “Star Eyes”
    9) Dimmu Borgir — “Reptile”
    10) Type O Negative — “I Don’t Wanna Be Me”

#6 is a demonstration of the dangers of using Yahoo Launchcast, I guess. Sometimes it just throws something totally out of left field at me. Fracker.

Super-cool Bonus Track: The Roots — “Table of Contents (Parts 1 & 2)”

13. October 15, 2005 at 12:15 am

The West Coast Edition to Friday’s Random Ten. Loaded up the MP3 player [all 9395 of my song titles :-) ] and these were the first ten that played.

2821 – Frank Sinatra – South Of The Border
    6878 – Five Keys – Deep In My Heart
    3711 – Loretta Lynn – Coal Miner’s Daughter
    (And YOU were worried about cool, Robert?)
    382 – Lovin’ Spoonful – Do You Believe In Magic
    1060 – Clash – Rock The Casbah
    3225 – Jill Scott – Slowly, Surely
    2752 – The Flying Burrito Bros. – Orange Blossom Special
    1387 – Nelly – E.I.
    1229 – Bel Biv Devoe – Poison
    437 – The Turtles – Eleanor

Bonus Track

2474 – Elton John – Candle In The Wind (original version)

Cross-posted at Carrie’s Bar & Grill.