Argh

In true ADD fashion, I left the computer last night with a series of overheads and lesson plans written up in Word. Did I save them? Did I mention the ADD?

Lauren’s to-do list: Rewrite every fucking thing that was finished last night. Take Ritalin.

In other news, I gave myself a haircut yesterday. While giving oneself a haircut is scary and stressful, I think it ended up kind of cute. If you ignore that weird patch on the left.

No pictures. We are on shower strike: no bathing until I get this stuff done. Argh.

15 comments for “Argh

1. Linnaeus
    October 16, 2005 at 1:05 pm

If I may ask, Lauren, do you take medication for ADD? I was recently evaluated for that, and the psychologist thinks that medication would be worth trying, but I’m still not sure.

2. October 16, 2005 at 1:18 pm

I just started on a small dose of ritalin twice a day. It does help quite a bit, but some of the side effects are bizarre. Right after I take it I have the urge to gnash my teeth and bit my lips. So weird.

I’m going back to the doc in a week to talk about how it’s working.

3. Linnaeus
    October 16, 2005 at 1:38 pm

Thanks. The psychologist referred me to a couple of psychiatrists who deal with ADD quite a bit, and now that I have health insurance, I think I’m going to go see one of them.

4. October 16, 2005 at 2:12 pm

Did you try using Auto-Recover to get back what you lost?

5. October 16, 2005 at 3:14 pm

Ouch.

6. October 16, 2005 at 4:35 pm

Boy, do I ever know what you mean.

7. October 16, 2005 at 6:38 pm

Sometime, I’m going to corner you for a full report, Lauren.

I almost spoiled the milk I brought home from the store today because, depsite the fact I’d just brought the bags in from the car, I found myself (ready for this?) relpacing the belt for the brush roll on my vacuum cleaner. As I went to put it back in the closet, there was the milk (and every other damn thing I brought in) sitting on the kitchen counter.

And after I’d put the groceries away, I realized I’d left the bag with the eggs sitting in the trunk.

This has not been a good weekend in that regard.

8. October 16, 2005 at 8:46 pm

The real to-do list:

Every time you stop to ponder, hit save.
    Every time you rise, hit save.
    If you want to scratch, first hit save.

Really.

9. October 16, 2005 at 8:48 pm

Dammit, Scorpio. Where were you last night?????

10. Harrison
    October 16, 2005 at 9:00 pm

I don’t know that this will make you feel any better, but I do feel your pain!

(Que music) Eons ago, when I was but a young reporter at my first newspaper job…we had this electronic word processing system (sort of a primitive network). Anyway, I had been slaving away for hours and hours on a huge (and not particularly interesting) story, and of course, there was a system hiccup, and of course I hadn’t saved my story. Hours of work down the tubes. Since that day, I save every few (less than five) minutes or so, and in addition, if the program I’m using has an Auto-Save feature, it’s turned on and set to save no more than every five or ten minutes. (And I got out of newspaper reporting, too, which helped my self-esteem and financial situation. I refer to myself as a “recovering journalist”.)

I never had much luck with meds for my ADD, but the antidepressant I’m currently on seems to ameliorate the ADD somewhat. I am glad you’re getting some results, and I hope that works out for you.

Is this too much information? I’ll stop now.

11. October 16, 2005 at 11:41 pm

That isn’t stupidity. That’s flakiness. There’s a distinct difference.

12. October 17, 2005 at 2:07 am

I was just about to inquire about the medication you’re taking for ADD, but I see Linneaus got to it first. I’ve been on Adderall since May, and it helps just a bit, but that little bit is good enough for me so far. It does make me feel a little anxious sometimes, but that’s not surprising, considering that it’s a stimulant – and I think that it’s well worth the occasional bit of anxiety, because that’s nothing compared to the constant feeling of helplessness and failure when I can’t seem to focus long enough to get anything done in school.

13. Magnus Malmborn
    October 17, 2005 at 6:04 am

Like Harrison said: Enable autosave, and set the interval to 5 min. I’ve lost track of all times this has saved me at system-crashes and power outages.

14. October 18, 2005 at 12:26 pm

Maybe if you go into the application data there will be recovery files in there. Good luck!

15. October 20, 2005 at 6:42 pm

Hi!

I was just a little curious about this ADD-thing, I believe it is the same thing tha we call ADHD here in Norway. (Yes I’m a stupid norwegian) I’ve been thinking about writing something about it on my blog, so if there is anybody reading this who has ADD and would be interrested in answering a few questions from me, please contact me on my e-mail
    hjortheblogg@gmail.com