And All This Time I Thought I Was An Atheist

You fit in with:

Your ideals mostly resemble that of a Humanist. Although you do not have a lot of faith, you are devoted to making this world better, in the short time that you have to live. Humanists do not generally believe in an afterlife, and therefore, are committed to making the world a better place for themselves and future generations.

20% scientific.
40% reason-oriented.

Take this quiz at

Thank teh internets for setting me straight!

via Professorial Confessions

This entry was posted in Religion and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to And All This Time I Thought I Was An Atheist

1. binky says:

40% scientific, 100% reason. Fancy that.

2. Allah says:

Gulp. Scientologist.

Just kidding. Agnostic. 40/20.

3. Thomas says:

Atheist. They sure got that right.

4. piny says:

I scored humanist myself, which I suppose fits.

But how is humanist, by this definition, not something an atheist could easily be? Is an atheist someone who does not have any committment to making the world a better place? Like that selfish asshole Bertrand Russell?

5. piny says:

Gulp. Scientologist.

Anti-depressives are:

–for losers.

Tom Cruise is:

— still crazy.

definitely not gay.

6. KnifeGhost says:

0% scientific/spiritual, 60% reason. Humanist.

Although I very much dispute the validity of the test. In the sense that the test seems to use it, Taoism isn’t all that “spiritual”. Amongst many many other problems.

7. Linnaeus says:

Humanist, 20% scientific/60% reason-oriented

Which would, if accurate, explain a number of things.

8. KnifeGhost says:

Try the Belief-o-matic if you enjoy this sort of thing:

I always score high on Unitarian-Universalist, but when I read the description I don’t feel that it particularly reflects my beliefs. I always score middle-ish on Taoism, even though I relate to almost everything in the description. Whatever. There’s the test, for what it’s worth.

9. Jimmy Ho says:

60% scientific, 80% reason-oriented: Atheist. No surprise.

10. Pingback: Liberal Serving

11. Mark says:

Agnostic; 0% scientific, 0% reason-oriented. Strange, I thought I was a little scientific…

Anyway do I get a bonus for hitting the bullseye? I was dead center of the graphic.

12. Chris Clarke says:

WTF is that workout question doing there? Does not working out pull you closer to the Scientologist-Atheist-Comic Book Guy axis?

13. Agnostic/atheist, with just the slightest hint towards agnostic.

Also, my arch-nemesis is Captain James Tiberius Kirk. Note to self: remember to activate Genesis device before retiring for the evening.

14. louise says:

quite a surprise–is that really me?
    I’m doing this again!!

15. Leslie says:

humanist/ unitarian -choose your quiz – weird given I’m an aethistic taost sort. neither quiz seems terribly accurate

16. Jimmy Ho says:

Chris Clarke:

WTF is that workout question doing there?

That question was weird, indeed (for what it is worth, my answer was “no”). I also deplore the tired “arts and technology are mutually exclusive/artistic people are the most spiritual” cliché.
    It’s only a game, after all (hopefully more harmless than horoscope reading).

17. John says:

Agnostic (borderline Atheist) 100% scientific, 40% reason. That’s about right.

18. Johnny says:

Humanist 20% spiritual/100%reason-oriented.

Doesn’t Athiesm require the same dogmatic thinking that Thiesm requires?

Eric Fromm had something interesting to say about rational faith vs irrational faith (faith in your child or yourself vs faith in authority)

I have to admit, I prefer non-theism to athiesm, it requires less belief, but allows me to continue to have faith in myself and reason.

19. WTF is that workout question doing there?

Exercise the body to cleanse the spirirt, or somesuch. Not my bailiwick.

20. piny says:

Doesn’t Athiesm require the same dogmatic thinking that Thiesm requires?

Not really. I’ve most often heard it used to refer to lack of belief that there’s a God, rather than an affirmative belief that there is no God.

Here’s one atheist’s take on the term:

“As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one prove that there is not a God. On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think that I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because, when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.”
    — Bertrand Russell, Collected Papers, vol. 11, p. 91

21. Sean says:

Does anyone plan to recant on their deathbed? Does that really count?

22. Sean says:

But I actually like the word “humanist,” we atheists should start using it in our propaganda leaflets. Atheism rejects religion in favor of a materialist worldview, which is fine. But that implies that the origin of morality is to be found in human beings rather than the outside world. This is not the same as a complete absence of morality, which is a message we would do well to get across.

23. Jeff G says:

Humanist: 0% scientific. 40% reason-oriented.

24. norbizness says:

Javascript error: I’m apparently way too fucking godly.

25. Pingback: Pharyngula

26. randomliberal/Robert says:

Humanist: 20% Spiritual, 60% Reason.

This questionnaire is crap. It’s presenting spirituality vs science and reason vs faith as though they’re mutually exclusive. As I’m sure many people here can testify, they’re not.

27. Tanooki Joe says:

Plus, you know, religious beliefs don’t fit on a fucking continuum. And alot of those questions were leading in a “when did you stop beating your wife?” way. And how did Scientology weasel its way onto there?

28. APF says:

You fit in with: Agnosticism

80% scientific.
    40% reason-oriented.

* * *

Although I have to say, IMO an Agnostic is really an Atheist who doesn’t want to come across as a jerk…

29. mythago says:

“Judaism/Christianity” as a single and identical religion. Whee, more bigoted fuckwads on teh Internets.

30. OHNOES says:

Are you implying that it is possible to be bigoted against Christianity? Pfft. Not in THIS society, my friend. Only Christians can be bigots. Did you miss the letter?

31. Pete K says:

Until you DEFINE what God(s) is/are, I see no reason to embrace either extreme – narrow fundamentalism nor militant atheism!

Oh, and one doesn’t precude the other. You can be religious and atheistic (Buddhism, spiritualism), and theistic and non-religious (non-practising Catholics etc)!

Nice to see that this talisman-thingy acknowledges the wide spectrum of beliefs and agrees with me that one cannot be easily parcelled into X-religion or X-philosophy

32. Jill says:

Your ideals are mostly spiritual, but in an individualistic way. While spirituality is very important in your life, organized religion itself may not be for you. It is best for you to seek these things on your own terms.

60% spiritual.
    60% reason-oriented.

Huh. I’m the only “spiritual” one so far? Heathens…

33. pansauce says:

Atheist 40/80

Does this mean that I’m going to get kicked out of the American Humanist Association?

34. Rob says:

As the token “Godbag”, even I rated Agnostic on this thing… but I was fouled on the play…

35. KnifeGhost says:

Jill: Actually, according to this quiz, real actual heathens would score strongly on the spiritual side. The proper slur in this case is “poindexters”.

However, again, this test is bullshit.

36. Robert says:

I score 0/0.

And I question the timing!