Lauren founded this blog in 2001.

1. Schrödinger’s Cat is Dead  » Blog Archive   » Friday Random Ten XLIV

[...] o de Lucía :: Tio Sabas Ved Buens Ende :: A Mask in the Mirror Oasis :: Magic Pie [Feministe]

This entry was po [...]

5) Lenny Kravitz: Fly Away
    6) Wicked Tinkers: Sweetpea’s Dance
    7) ZZ Top: Heard It On The X
    8) Libertines: Up the Bracket
    9) The Who: The Song Is Over
    10) White Stripes: You’ve Got Her In Your Pocket

Most Americans know the Proclaimers for “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles).” Twin brothers Craig and Charlie Reid have some great songs. Scotland’s Story has a particular resonance for me because it recognizes that Scottish heritage is not limited to those with the right skin color or last name: “In Scotland’s story I read that they came/ The Gael and the Pict, the Angle and Dane/ But where’s all the Chinese and Indian names?/ They’re in my land’s story, and they’re all worth the same.”

Also, Craig and Charlie are Fifers, and they sing with the accent my father had when his parents came to visit (he lost it on purpose before I was born, but if he talked to another Scot, it snapped right back). The accent makes for a great cover of “King of the Road.”

4. paul
    paul December 30, 2005 at 11:11 am |

My Back Pages / Byrds /
    We Were Both Wrong / Dave Edmunds / Repeat When Necessary
    I Hope You’re Happy Now / Elvis Costello / The Very Best Of Elvis Costello (Disc 2)
    Flesh Number One (Beatle Dennis) / Robyn Hitchcock / Globe of Frogs
    Point Of No Return / Elvis Costello / Spike Bonus Disc
    Celebrate / Simple Minds / Themes for Great Cities
    Beautiful Day / U2 / All That You Can’t Leave Behind
    The American / Simple Minds / Themes for Great Cities
    Molto vivace / CSO-Fritz Reiner / Beethoven: Symphony No. 9, Op. 125, “Choral”
    Lovefool / The Cardigans / First Band on the Moon

5. oudemia
    oudemia December 30, 2005 at 11:12 am |

1) Joy Division, “Passover”
    2) Echo & the Bunnymen, “The Cutter”
    3) Brownie McGee, “Jealous of My Woman”
    4) Carissas Wierd, “Farewell to All These Rotten Teeth”
    5) Black Flag, “Rise Above”
    6) John Coltrane, “My Favorite Things”
    7) Mozart, Cosi Fan Tutte, “Ah quarda, sorella”
    8) Big Black, “Bad Houses”
    9) Purcell, Dido and Aeneas, “Whence could so much virtue spring” – “Fear no danger to ensue”
    10) Stiff Little Fingers, “White Noise”

OK — that’s kind of weird. Big, giant, undifferentiated ipod.

6. snooble.dot.com
    snooble.dot.com December 30, 2005 at 11:19 am |

Friday Random Ten

I haven’t blogged for a week? Inconceivable. Bah, I blame the holidays.
    So now it’s time to put your digital music player (iTunes for Mac OSX this week) on shuffle, click play, and list the first ten songs that show up. You must resist th…

7. Brian
    Brian December 30, 2005 at 12:01 pm |

Hey, I got some Echo, too!

1. She’s Hot from the album “Out My Way (Reissue)” by Meat Puppets
    2. 2112 from the album “Different Stages 2” by Rush Stop your snickering. You’ve got a copy somewhere, admit it. I almost took a mulligan on this one, but hey! WTF, right?

3. Idol from the album “Ghost Stories” by Amanda Ghost Holy shit, where did this come from? I have no idea. Don’t really care for it. Kinda Jewel-y. Kinda of a whiplash after the preceding. Kinda hurts, actually

4. The Modern World from the album “Compact Snap!” by The Jam. Yes it is.

5. Never Go Back from the album “Camper Vantiquities” by Camper Van Beethoven

6. The Big Heat from the album “The Big Heat” by Stan Ridgway

7. Bombs Away from the album “Message In A Box: The Complete Recordings (Disc 2)” by The Police

8. Do It Clean (Live, 1983) from the album “Crystal Days (1979-1999) (4)” by Echo & The Bunnymen

9. John from the album “In The Mud” by Split Lip Rayfield

10. The Glory of Man from the album “Double Nickels on the Dime” by Minutemen finishing up with a hideously appropriate one.

8. The Pime Forest Collective
    The Pime Forest Collective December 30, 2005 at 1:25 pm |

In the Neon Sign, Scrolling Up and Down, I am Born Again

You know the drill. Hit shuffle on your mp3 player and transcribe the damage. Today I’m at home and doing the shuffle on ITunes from my PC. Airbag – Radiohead* Seven Words – Deftones* Sorry ‘Bout That – Harold Johnson

9. z
    z December 30, 2005 at 2:04 pm |

Edith Frost has a blog (I’m sure you’re aware of it, but…):

10. Jimmy Ho
    Jimmy Ho December 30, 2005 at 7:43 pm |

FRrrrrT – The Guess the Artist(s)! Edition

Da Prize: a handful of multigender mental Jimmy hats.

1) Jiaru wo shi zhende
    2) gotta let u know
    3) Regga Fi Peach
    4) Chenzui
    5) People of Yoruba
    6) O Koumartzis
    7) Creatures
    8) Book & A Cover
    9) Circumstances
    10) Armageddon

(Only Latin characters this time, just so nobody calls me a show-off.)

Bonus Gesang: Origami

11. djw
    djw December 31, 2005 at 7:08 pm |

Nice to see another Edith Frost fan. “Calling Over Time” is my favorite, but all four of her albums are great. She played in Seattle last summer, a great show, and about 2 dozen people showed up. She needs a bigger audience.