An Evening In the Life Of

After dinner last night, I left the room to gather stray dishes and came back to see my wee family laying about like a group of sea lions.

(Cat and knitting pics below the fold, so as not to bore non-knitters and dog-lovers.)

Lazy Thursday

Earlier in the day I decided to put the red slipcover back on the couch. It appears that this may have been a bad idea if I ever want to hold a conversation with the little one again.

Doug Loves The Slipcover

Doug stayed here all day. ALL DAY. I thought there was something wrong with him until he took it upon himself to clear off the coffee table in two separate rooms and shred a roll of paper towels.

Curled Up

Pablo, in the meantime, still loves his kitty condo. Too bad my cats are too fat to fit inside it.

I decided to join them and take up my knitting to the tune of Wheel of Fortune, the show Ethan vows to take me on someday for a mother/son show. As much as I hate to admit this, Wheel and Jeopardy! are Ethan’s primary incentives for reading and writing. You do what you can.

This is the beginning of my first sock project of the year that will not be abandoned! Like everyone else, I’m knitting the Jaywalker pattern at MagKnits, a super easy and pretty pattern, but I’m already bored. I hate knitting socks but I have to get rid of this sock yarn stash somehow.

Jaywalker Socks

With the big ol’ Xmas coupon, I went and got myself enough Lorna’s Laces worsted to knit up a second Clapotis. The first one turned out very nicely, but I picked a cheap scratchy wool that gives me a rash if I wear it too long. This Clap feels like a dream, but as is my habit when buying yarn, I picked colors that look far different in natural light than they do in the store, thus my red and purple yarn is now quite obviously orange and purple yarn. Oh well.

Clapotis II

Finally, I got this lovely skein of cashmere for Xmas. It’s enough to make a small shawl or a very generous scarf — all in this one little skein. True story: I spent the majority of my last day student teaching forcing my students to hold the skein between their arms while I hand-wound a skein of this stuff. It took about four class periods. The cool thing was that I got to have some one-on-one time with some of my favorite students while I wound, so there you go.

Lovely Cashmere

Anyone have any pattern ideas for this last skein?

Not pictured, two sock hats in Manos and the Noro Silk Garden sweater I’ve started and frogged three times in a year-and-a-half.

12 comments for “An Evening In the Life Of

1. January 13, 2006 at 2:55 pm

My cats are too, but they’ll gleefully fight each other to be able to squeeze onto the top of the condo. It’s sad, really.

2. R
    January 13, 2006 at 3:43 pm

A cashmere hat and mittens or wrist-warmers could be cool. Or maybe you could manage legwarmers: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTlegwarmers.html

3. Lux Fiat
    January 13, 2006 at 4:04 pm

This Clap feels like a dream

I gotta say, that’s the first time I’ve ever seen that phrase.

4. January 13, 2006 at 4:05 pm

Amanda’s seven single skein scarf pattern is calling to the cashmere. I bought a skein of the camaflauge colorway and the pattern a while back and it’s just waiting to become one of the scarves!

5. January 13, 2006 at 4:09 pm

Lux, I was waiting for the pun on that one. ;)

6. Lux Fiat
    January 13, 2006 at 4:17 pm

Lux, I was waiting for the pun on that one. ;)

Zing!

7. January 13, 2006 at 4:29 pm

Caption for the first pic:

“Mommy, the kitty farted!

8. January 13, 2006 at 4:59 pm

What pretty cashmere! Maybe a lace something? If you’re wanting a little shawl, maybe a few rows of the Charlotte shawl and make it a shawlette?

9. January 13, 2006 at 9:40 pm

Luscious cashmere! I’m not really sure how your rather large skein translates but there’s some really nice knitting patterns here

The cashmere would look particularly pretty as a small bolero or this fun hood/scarf combo

10. January 13, 2006 at 9:58 pm

This yarn is way too small for any of those patterns, Darleen, but I do have some that I can definitely use to make that bolero. And I will!

Thanks for the pattern suggestion.

I think I’m going to go for something shawl-y. I’ve been playing with lace patterns lately and like them as long as they are intuitive and aren’t too complicated.

11. Kyra
    January 14, 2006 at 1:53 pm

Ahh, lovely kitties. I know the feeling of having a cat too large for the kitty condo. I also know the feeling of just getting a new kitten (LAST NIGHT!!!) and the kitty condo (cheap cardboard variety) had heroically given up its life last hailstorm to protect the windshield of my dad’s car from bombardment. Can’t win. Oh, well. New Kitty’s cute. Already-Here Kitty is hissing a lot. New Kitty purrs nonstop.

How long did it take for Pablo and Doug to tolerate each other? We’ve got New Kitty locked up in Already-Here Kitty’s favorite bathroom (my mother’s brilliant idea), and I really hope they get over each other’s presence soon so New Kitty can have the run of the house.

12. January 14, 2006 at 2:21 pm

Hissfest 2005 only lasted a day or two. After that Pablo hated Doug while Doug courted Pablo from afar. That phase lasted for a month or so. Now it’s sweet wuv.