Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Marian
    Marian January 27, 2006 at 10:42 am |

Sounds pleasant, doesn’t it? The anti-choice message has been, “Wait for marriage, then have sex, don’t use contraception and have as many babies as God gives ya.” Which arrogantly assumes, of course, that women in the developing world are free to marry who they want, when they want, and are free to say no to sex within marriage if they want to avoid pregnancy.

And herein lies the problem with religious groups here and folks the likes of D@wn Ed&n who say, “Let them use Natural Family Planning.” Catholics are correct that NFP requires a tremendous level of communication between spouses, but in countries where child/forced marriage is the norm, you’re not going to have those loving, communicating-type marriages be that prevalent.

2. Marian
    Marian January 27, 2006 at 10:43 am |

Yannow, I think it’s my work IP address that’s being thrown into moderation. My posts from home seem to go right through. Odd.

3. Txfeminist
    Txfeminist January 27, 2006 at 11:35 am |

Oh, that is so horrifying.

In my last pregnancy I had a problem postpartum in the way I healed. I had about six very severe bladder infections in a row. Even with modern medicine, antibiotics, etc, I suffered hugely and at moments would have been quite happy to die to stop the pain I was experiencing.

These ignorant idiots have absolutely NO thought for what they are subjecting women to.

4. Txfeminist
    Txfeminist January 27, 2006 at 11:35 am |

Or rather, they just don’t give a rat’s ass.

5. Nymphalidae
    Nymphalidae January 27, 2006 at 1:12 pm |

I didn’t know that such a thing happened until now. How utterly vile.

6. jenofiniquity
    jenofiniquity January 27, 2006 at 7:35 pm |

I’m one of those women who, had I given birth in the United States a century or so ago — or in certain Third World countries now — would have suffered horrible injuries, delivered a brain-damaged or dead baby or died in labor myself. Even with top-notch medical care, my experience was so traumatizing that I couldn’t contemplate getting pregnant again for 5 years after the birth of my first child. I feel absolute rage at the assholes who so casually and callously advocate for childbearing under all circumstances.