Figure it out, kids (pdf).
The Ninth Circuit Court ruled on Planned Parenthood v. Gonzalez, and, unsurprisingly, that the so-called Partial Birth Abortion Ban is illegal. According to the FindLaw summary:
Planned Parenthood v. Gonzales, No. 04-16621 (9th Cir. January 31, 2006)
The Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003 is unconstitutional since it: 1) lacks the
health exception required of all abortion regulations in the absence of a medical
consensus, that the prohibited procedure is never necessary to preserve women’s health;
2) imposes an undue burden on a woman’s right to choose a previability abortion; and 3)
is impermissibly vague. The appropriate remedy for the serious constitutional flaws in
the Act is enjoining the enforcement of the statute in its entirety.
Well knock me over with a feather.
Thanks to Dad for the link.
- Abortion and the Roberts Court by Jill November 7, 2006
- Reason #492745 why abortion must be legal and accessible by Jill March 20, 2007
- Playing Politics With Cancer Screening by Jill March 26, 2007
- Anti-Choicers vs. NPR by Jill October 14, 2007
- Better News From Kansas by zuzu February 3, 2006