Freedom Fries, Meet Roses of the Prophet Mohammad

I can’t wait until the right gets ahold of this story: Iranians have re-named Danish pastries “Roses of the Prophet Mohammad.” And I can’t wait until we can respond to any wingnut criticism with, “Would you like some Freedom Fries with that?”

link via Noam.

About Jill

This entry was posted in Food, Religion and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Freedom Fries, Meet Roses of the Prophet Mohammad

1. TangoMan says:

Roses of the Prophet Mohammad sure has a lot of syllables. I wonder how many syllables are in the phrase when it’s spoken in Persian compared to those needed for uttering the word Danish. It could be quite a drag in the mornings when you ask someone to pass you another Roses of the Prophet Mohammad and it takes you 15 minutes to utter the phrase.

2. yami says:

Do they realize that the Danes call ’em “Vienna bread”?

3. other ryan says:

Yeah, I’m pretty horrified all around that the muslim fundies and christian fundies seem to be sharing one brain… split among many, many fundies. How much can this kind of semantic squabbling actually accomplish?

4. Sally says:

Do they realize that the Danes call ‘em “Vienna bread”?

I don’t know. Do various American faux patriots realize that the French call french fries “pommes frites”?

5. zuzu says:

As I learned from Alton Brown, French fries aren’t actually named for France, they’re named for the process of frenching. Which may have been named after a person named French. Though I don’t remember enough of the episode to say for sure.

6. Sally says:

I think that German chocolate cake is the same way: it’s named for a guy named Mr. German, not for Deutschland.

7. Lauren says:

As much frenching as I’ve done, I’ve never gotten any fries out of it. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!

8. berger says:

I think you mean “faux-pas” patriots

9. Starla says:

Lauren, I don’t think you are using enough tongue.

I am seriously waiting to see if any fundies complain about this.

10. KnifeGhost says:

Well, to be technical, it wasn’t the “fundies” that got behind “Freedom Fries”, it was USA A-OK crowd. They run in the same crowd, but they’re two seperate flavours of wingnut.

11. R. Mildred says:

also remember you have to say “peace be apon him” after saying “the prophet muhammed” or the revolutionary guard will drag you away for conlusion with counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-revolutionaries. So that’s “roses of the prophet muhammad (peace be apon him)”

This pretty much clinches what I’ve been suspecting; Iran elected their equivalent to george bush.

Though I have to ask: how often is danish pastry served in iran? Are there all night fast food danish pastry shops baking away at all hours so as to bring the consumer competitively priced danish pastries?

12. Gordon K says:

Yes. And Dance Dance Revolution has nothing to do with the former German Democratic Republic.

13. Sally says:

Hmm. Was that supposed to be witty? I’m not sure I’m following you.

14. zuzu says:

The initials of the country in German were DDR.

15. Sally says:

Ah. And Dance Dance Revolution is called DDR.

I am way too out of touch with the games the kids are playing these days.

16. Laurie says:

Oddly enough, “Roses of the Prophet Mohammed” (PBUN) may in fact end up being less unwieldy than you might think. I don’t speak more than a few phrases of Arabic, but I do know that “if God wills it” translates to “insh’Allah”, which is fewer syllables. It’s kind of funny how it works out sometimes. :) There *may* be a similar short phrase that translates to the more unwieldy “peace be upon him (or “his name”)”.

That said, I think I agree with R. Mildred’s assessment of Iran’s leader. *sigh*

17. Steve says:

and in England what you call French Fries are called Chips (as opposed to what you call Chips, which are called Crisps. :) )

I think we should have changed the name to ‘Potato Snacks of the British Transport Police’ in protest at them canning that marvellous early 80s TV show with Eric Estrada in it… ;)

18. Kyra says:

R. Mildred:

Danish pastry isn’t served in Iran at all now. Only “Roses of the Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him.”

19. Kyra says:

High death tolls and vast amounts of misery. God must be so proud.

(Forgot to close the blockquote tag. Can somebody with the ability to do so delete my previous attempt?)

20. Andrew says:

Hmm. Was that supposed to be witty? I’m not sure I’m following you.

I hope so, because it certainly made my morning.

21. Tuomas says:

*Chuckle*

Ah, the war of ideas. Freedom fries vs. Roses of the Prophet Muhammed, Iron Chef style. If only…

22. Magis says:

Oh yeah?!

Take this:

Iranian Oil now ChristoFuel
    Iranian Pistachios now AmeriNuts
    Persian Rugs now FloorFascism
    Persian Cats now JesoPussies

23. Tanooki Joe says:

Persian Cats now JesoPussies

This may literally be the best idea I have ever heard.

24. Magis says:

*deep bow*
    One outa four ain’t bad.