Freedom Fries, Meet Roses of the Prophet Mohammad

I can’t wait until the right gets ahold of this story: Iranians have re-named Danish pastries “Roses of the Prophet Mohammad.” And I can’t wait until we can respond to any wingnut criticism with, “Would you like some Freedom Fries with that?”

link via Noam.

24 comments for “Freedom Fries, Meet Roses of the Prophet Mohammad

1. February 15, 2006 at 3:22 pm

Roses of the Prophet Mohammad sure has a lot of syllables. I wonder how many syllables are in the phrase when it’s spoken in Persian compared to those needed for uttering the word Danish. It could be quite a drag in the mornings when you ask someone to pass you another Roses of the Prophet Mohammad and it takes you 15 minutes to utter the phrase.

2. February 15, 2006 at 3:45 pm

Do they realize that the Danes call ’em “Vienna bread”?

3. February 15, 2006 at 3:52 pm

Yeah, I’m pretty horrified all around that the muslim fundies and christian fundies seem to be sharing one brain… split among many, many fundies. How much can this kind of semantic squabbling actually accomplish?

4. Sally
    February 15, 2006 at 3:53 pm

Do they realize that the Danes call ‘em “Vienna bread”?

I don’t know. Do various American faux patriots realize that the French call french fries “pommes frites”?

5. zuzu
    February 15, 2006 at 4:09 pm

As I learned from Alton Brown, French fries aren’t actually named for France, they’re named for the process of frenching. Which may have been named after a person named French. Though I don’t remember enough of the episode to say for sure.

6. Sally
    February 15, 2006 at 4:13 pm

I think that German chocolate cake is the same way: it’s named for a guy named Mr. German, not for Deutschland.

7. February 15, 2006 at 4:22 pm

As much frenching as I’ve done, I’ve never gotten any fries out of it. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!

8. berger
    February 15, 2006 at 4:55 pm

I think you mean “faux-pas” patriots

9. February 15, 2006 at 5:12 pm

Lauren, I don’t think you are using enough tongue.

I am seriously waiting to see if any fundies complain about this.

10. KnifeGhost
    February 15, 2006 at 5:28 pm

Well, to be technical, it wasn’t the “fundies” that got behind “Freedom Fries”, it was USA A-OK crowd. They run in the same crowd, but they’re two seperate flavours of wingnut.

11. R. Mildred
    February 15, 2006 at 5:30 pm

also remember you have to say “peace be apon him” after saying “the prophet muhammed” or the revolutionary guard will drag you away for conlusion with counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-revolutionaries. So that’s “roses of the prophet muhammad (peace be apon him)”

This pretty much clinches what I’ve been suspecting; Iran elected their equivalent to george bush.

Though I have to ask: how often is danish pastry served in iran? Are there all night fast food danish pastry shops baking away at all hours so as to bring the consumer competitively priced danish pastries?

12. Gordon K
    February 15, 2006 at 5:45 pm

Yes. And Dance Dance Revolution has nothing to do with the former German Democratic Republic.

13. Sally
    February 15, 2006 at 5:51 pm

Hmm. Was that supposed to be witty? I’m not sure I’m following you.

14. zuzu
    February 15, 2006 at 5:57 pm

The initials of the country in German were DDR.

15. Sally
    February 15, 2006 at 5:58 pm

Ah. And Dance Dance Revolution is called DDR.

I am way too out of touch with the games the kids are playing these days.

16. Laurie
    February 15, 2006 at 6:04 pm

Oddly enough, “Roses of the Prophet Mohammed” (PBUN) may in fact end up being less unwieldy than you might think. I don’t speak more than a few phrases of Arabic, but I do know that “if God wills it” translates to “insh’Allah”, which is fewer syllables. It’s kind of funny how it works out sometimes. :) There *may* be a similar short phrase that translates to the more unwieldy “peace be upon him (or “his name”)”.

That said, I think I agree with R. Mildred’s assessment of Iran’s leader. *sigh*

17. February 15, 2006 at 7:07 pm

and in England what you call French Fries are called Chips (as opposed to what you call Chips, which are called Crisps. :) )

I think we should have changed the name to ‘Potato Snacks of the British Transport Police’ in protest at them canning that marvellous early 80s TV show with Eric Estrada in it… ;)

18. Kyra
    February 15, 2006 at 7:56 pm

R. Mildred:

Danish pastry isn’t served in Iran at all now. Only “Roses of the Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him.”

19. Kyra
    February 15, 2006 at 11:07 pm

High death tolls and vast amounts of misery. God must be so proud.

(Forgot to close the blockquote tag. Can somebody with the ability to do so delete my previous attempt?)

20. Andrew
    February 16, 2006 at 4:20 am

Hmm. Was that supposed to be witty? I’m not sure I’m following you.

I hope so, because it certainly made my morning.

21. Tuomas
    February 16, 2006 at 8:32 am

*Chuckle*

Ah, the war of ideas. Freedom fries vs. Roses of the Prophet Muhammed, Iron Chef style. If only…

22. Magis
    February 16, 2006 at 11:26 am

Oh yeah?!

Take this:

Iranian Oil now ChristoFuel
    Iranian Pistachios now AmeriNuts
    Persian Rugs now FloorFascism
    Persian Cats now JesoPussies

23. Tanooki Joe
    February 16, 2006 at 1:47 pm

Persian Cats now JesoPussies

This may literally be the best idea I have ever heard.

24. Magis
    February 16, 2006 at 2:18 pm

*deep bow*
    One outa four ain’t bad.