Because it’s good to get your heart rate up.
1. What kind of government sends a man to an oppressive “axis of evil” country, allows him to be brutally tortured, and then, upon finding out that he’s actually innocent, refuses to hear his case because it might shed some light on “state secrets”? Right, ours
2. If an Italian girl isn’t a virgin, it means her rapist is less culpable for his crime. Because rape is way less tragic if you’ve had sex before. And if your step dad forces you to give him oral sex, well, it couldn’t have been that bad since you’re already a slut.
3. Officials in Juarez, Mexico dismiss the serial murders of women and girls.
4. There are still people out there who think that having a vagina should disqualify you from being President. Those people are more likely to vote Republican. This should surprise no one.
5. Girls are more aggressive, and this is bad bad bad. As Rox writes, Prepare yourself for the usual suspects to use the findings in this book to justify a roll-back of Title IX, an increase in abstinence education, and a de-emphasis on teaching girls they “can be anything they want to be.”
6. “Baby shortage” in the UK prompts blaming of selfish young women for not doing their duty to properly reproduce.
7. A young Iranian journalist, imprisoned for mocking Ayatollah Khomeni, is brutally murdered in prison by being forced to drink bleach and cleaning products.
9. Atrios says it well: Congratulations, Republicans. If you or your wives are going to be permanently and seriously disabled due to pregnancy complications there will soon be nothing your doctor can do about it. Feministing gives us the scoop.