Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Sophist
    Sophist April 3, 2006 at 12:16 am |

We intend to expand women’s access to health care services and counseling by cutting funding to places which provide health care services and counseling. Ok then.

Do you ever get the feeling these people read 1984 and thought “Wow, what a great idea”?

2. DSW
    DSW April 3, 2006 at 12:44 am |

This is my first comment here after lurking for several months: I’m originally from the Texas panhandle and its things like this that piss me off to no end. Should I be glad I escaped this environment or should I return to try and do something? Its much easier to be a liberal/progressive activist when there are lots of other people around who think like me, but how would I do in my hometown?

BTW – this blog helps to kick start my brain every morning, thank you for what you all do.

3. Dianne
    Dianne April 3, 2006 at 10:43 am |

Oh, and this is coming from the state that the Alan Guttmacher Institute ranked 45th in women’s health care.

Good lord! They’re five that are worse? Which ones besides South Dakota?

My free advice, worth every penny you pay for it, is to consider how attached you are to the culture in general and vice versa. Would you be effective in that environment? Able to cope with the negative factors and enjoy the positive ones? Are you willing to live with the small but non-zero risk of getting lynched for your beliefs? I’m from Texas too (Dallas, but I have relatives in rural west Texas near Oddessa) and the answer to these questions for me is “no”, so I left and never went back, but if the answer for you is “yes”, then there’s certainly a lot of work to be done out there and they badly need people willing to do it.

4. JenM
    JenM April 3, 2006 at 1:04 pm |

There was an article in the SA Express News about this legislation that interviewed women who had to find another clinics for their birth control. One 19-yr old who had been getting her pillsfor 2 yrs had just gotten pregnant in the month it took her to find a new clinic. The article specifically compared the cost to the state for the yearly supply of contraception vs the prenatal costs and hospital care – women who qualified for the subsized contraception would also qualify for the pregnancy coverage so either way state is paying, just spending much less on the prevention…

5. Henry Jennings
    Henry Jennings April 4, 2006 at 12:55 am |

It’s too bad they haven’t figured out what causes pregnancy yet. I sure wish the government would spend some money studying THAT for a change, instead of bombing the poor people of Iraq and stuff.

6. Pepper
    Pepper April 4, 2006 at 3:53 pm |

Well, I bet that Duell and Williams are grateful that they can have prostate exams and colonoscopies and all those wonderful things that they receive from their job-related health care. Because they feel they deserve that kind of preventitive treatment. I bet they never miss a chance to get checked out. A poor woman at the Sonic drive-in, screw her, because somebody’s gotta serve up those burgers!

Now that DeLay is gone, will it get any better?

7. Henry Jennings
    Henry Jennings April 4, 2006 at 5:51 pm |

Yes, all will be well with the world and Texas now that the he-man wimmin hater is no longer in Congress assembled.

Luckily, however, we will be able to place all those extra babies with Delay’s foster care farms.

8. Bitch | Lab
    Bitch | Lab April 5, 2006 at 3:53 pm |

I’ll tell my I hate/love feminists and how I become something I hate/love later, but part of it was being involved in activist work to reduce the teen pregnancy and birth rate. Outside of NYC, our county in NYS had the highest rate.

While the sorry state of Planned Parenthood clincis is awful, I just wanted to point out that I don’t think we can so easily attribute the problem to that.

A quick skim of recent stats showed that, while among the highest, Texas has actually brought its rate down over the past decade. As I point out, the landing at the top of the heap this year may have far more to do with changing demographics than anything else.

The problem with blaming it on the loss of Planned Parenthood is seeing the issue through a narrow white, middle class lens: assuming that young teen women are 1. not married and 2. got pregnant without planning it.

Teen pregnancy is complex. But, one thing we know: it is inextricably tied to class (poverty and lack of opportunity), as well as racism. However, it’s also tied to sub-cultural mores and gender role expectations, expectations that don’t just exist only at the ideational level but are shaped by material circumstances.