Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. evil_fizz
    evil_fizz April 3, 2006 at 2:16 pm |

Because normal women do not act that way.

Well, there’s a justification if I’ve ever heard one.

2. ginmar
    ginmar April 3, 2006 at 2:23 pm |

I like it how when girls go wild, evidently, the men holding the camera or spiking the drinks or having sex are somehow utterly invisible. It’s like girls go wild iwth the invisible man. And no one notices that when the crime rate for girls goes up 57%, nobody gives the raw number, or the standard for judging that wildness. If we go by the past, the stuff that girls get condemned for are things that boys either get praised for or commit upon the girls.

Girls wouldn’t need to go wild if they didn’t operate under such a rediculous double standard at home.

3. Thomas
    Thomas April 3, 2006 at 2:43 pm |

I’m not much for “me too” comments, but I need to second this one. I’d third it if there were two of me. So much of the day-to-day workings of patriarchy are about control of female sexuality. There’s a huge system of rules about how and when women can be sexual which basically boil down to this: if and only if it gets men off, and even then there are consequences.

4. Lauren
    Lauren April 3, 2006 at 2:59 pm |

Thomas and Ginmar: add to that the complete dearth of understanding on what it means to be sensual and you get stuck with your madonna/whore dichotomy all over again. Fuck that.

5. Lauren
    Lauren April 3, 2006 at 3:24 pm |

On a completely different vein (or vain — ha!), one of the best things I’ve done to save money in the last year is give up being blonde. The cost isn’t nearly as high here as it is in NYC, but it was enough to hurt the pocketbook and couldn’t be replicated at home. Seriously, people, go brown or red or whatever — you can do it at home and NEVER mess it up. Quit fucking with the crazy highlights.

6. Lis Riba
    Lis Riba April 3, 2006 at 5:30 pm |

if you’re not on my blogroll and you should be, leave your URL in the comments

I don’t know if I’m on your blogroll nor if you want to read me, but I blog at http://www.ribarambles.org if you’re interested…

7. ginmar
    ginmar April 3, 2006 at 5:47 pm |

Oh, I htink the people inflicting the double standard understand just fine. Or rather, they resist it because it wouldn’t benefit them.

For every stereotype of women, there’s a corresponding, flattering stereotype of men. For the Madonna, there could be the Bad Boy who her love reforms. If he’s a different race, he can safely be blamed for rape. If he’s the same race, then she’s a fake madonna.

For the whore, there’s any guy who complains about his evil ex. He’s the victim. Eliminate the double standard and you eliminate the comfort level for these guys, who also use women to appear more masculine against. Women are weak, frail, illogical, emotional. What are men? The opposite of those things. Men don’t compete against other men: they compete against women, and insisting on humanity for women means that men are deprived of the thing they react against. They’d have to be human, too, and that requires a great deal more than just reaction. Feminine is ‘pussy’—everything weak and vile and stupid. All men have to do is not be men. If women become human, then men have to choose to either do the same—which is complicated and difficult—or they can try and re-assert the old roles, which keep the bar for their behavior rediculously low. The standard for ‘nice guy’ these days is basically not being a total asshole. Why change that when it’s so easy to achieve?

8. David
    David April 3, 2006 at 5:49 pm |

I’m not on your blogroll, and would like to be, as you are on mine.

If you’re interested. Thanks for the other ideas.

9. Aishwarya
    Aishwarya April 3, 2006 at 6:09 pm |

I very much doubt I’m on your blogroll, but I blog at

10. MissPenName
    MissPenName April 4, 2006 at 8:05 am |

You are on my blogroll and I really, really (desperate woshipping and ass kissing) want to be on yours.

11. kate.d.
    kate.d. April 4, 2006 at 1:28 pm |

love the round ups, keep them coming!

12. dorktastic
    dorktastic April 4, 2006 at 4:25 pm |

I don’t think I’m on your blogroll, of if you want to read me

13. evil_fizz
    evil_fizz April 4, 2006 at 6:24 pm |

I feel remarkably presumptous typing this, but you can find my blog at http://evil-fizz.livejournal.com