I don’t usually go around calling people stupid (ok I do, but usually only in my head), but Charlotte Allen has really taken idiocy to a new low by writing about Blogging Against Heteronormativity. Prepare yourself. It’s just… wow.
Hey, betcha you don’t even know what “heteronormativity” is!
Well here’s what: It’s the belief that, just because 97 percent of human beings have strong attractions to the opposite sex and like to do heterosexual things such as get married, we have no right as a society to view those 97 percent as normal and the remaining 3 percent as a bit off the beaten path.
And by “off the beaten path” I actually mean “So depraved and wrong that I personally enjoy advocating against giving them the basic rights that all other Americans have.”
“Like to do heterosexual things such as get married.” Fancy that. Apparently there are some gays and lesbians out there who want to do heterosexual things, too! But that wouldn’t do, because if they wanted to get married then that would mean that they fit Charlotte Allen’s narrow little idea of “normal,” and everyone knows that teh gays are nothing if not abnormal. And so we must not let them marry. Or something.
I do love how she attacks “blogging against heteronormativity,” and then makes cartoonishly heteronormative statements in order to demonstrate that heteronormativity does not need to be blogged against.
Also, do 97% of human beings get married? Fact-check!
And here’s Maia, a New Zealander, complaining about her country’s heteronormative paid-leave laws:
“Under the Holidays Act you get 3 days’ paid bereavement leave on the death of a set of named people, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, spouse and spouses parents. For a friend you can get one day’s paid leave if your employer accepts a bereavement.
“Our society does not value, or even really recognise friendships, particularly friendships between women.”
Isn’t that awful? Imagine deciding that most people’s parents are more important to them than their friends! What’s next to complain about: no paid bereavement leave when your dog dies?
Yo, dumbass, I think her point was that if your same-sex partner dies, they’re technically only a “friend” under New Zealand law and you don’t get the same leave that you would if they were your legal spouse. And Maia gave a few examples of women who really are “just” friends but who operate essentially as family members — raising children together, etc. What she was trying to say, I think, is that people have all kinds of domestic arrangements, and priviliging categories like “spouse” doesn’t really speak to the situations that many people live in.
And comparing female friends to dogs. How sweet. And what an independent little lady she is!
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- So that’s why I’m still single! by Jill July 9, 2009
- Another issue for international godbags to bond over by Jill December 4, 2006
- Politics of Hate by Jill June 5, 2006
- “The Right To Be A Christian” by Jill April 10, 2006
- What’s a Quiverfull Patriarchy-Lover To Do? by Jill June 27, 2006