1. Kyra
    Kyra May 25, 2006 at 2:34 pm |

Do they know where baby Catholics come from?

Baby Catholics come from the baptismal font. Before that they’re only baby humans. (Not that they cease being baby humans afterwards, of course.)

2. Lynn Gazis-Sax
    Lynn Gazis-Sax May 25, 2006 at 2:41 pm |

Good to know that menstruation is “frivolous.” Do they know where baby Catholics come from?

Of course it’s frivolous. If you’re properly avoiding birth control, you’ll be pregnant, not menstruating.

3. Amber
    Amber May 25, 2006 at 3:21 pm |

May I just say that the title of this post cracked me up. A lot. A really lot.

4. Marksman2000
    Marksman2000 May 25, 2006 at 4:45 pm |

Yep, seems odd coming from a church that condones child molestation.

5. NIamh
    NIamh May 25, 2006 at 5:05 pm |

Is it just tampons? Or are ads for pads banned too? I’d think the latter but I’ve only seen it referenced as “tampons” which makes me wonder– what subspecies of ridiculous are we talking here? “ew, women bleed!” or ” some evil sluts know where their vaginas are!”

6. Kat
    Kat May 25, 2006 at 6:34 pm |

To clarify, is it the Church that has asked for these bans, or is it the Polish government acting (or more correctly, overreacting) of their own accord?

7. Lynn Gazis-Sax
    Lynn Gazis-Sax May 25, 2006 at 7:04 pm |

Good point, Kat; I’d be surprised if anyone at the Curia spends enough time thinking about tampons to have requested the Pope not see ads for them.

8. Amanda Marcotte
    Amanda Marcotte May 25, 2006 at 7:05 pm |

Talk about a patriarch. The whole country is acting like teenagers at a party when dad comes home.

9. Ledasmom
    Ledasmom May 25, 2006 at 9:13 pm |

Who else wants to sneak over there and decorate the whole town with those little Christmas angels made out of tampons? Anyone with me?

10. Nomie
    Nomie May 25, 2006 at 10:43 pm |

Kat, by the BBC article it looks like it’s not even state control. They mention a town and its health inspector, “Polish police,” and the head of advertising for the state-run TV channel. Less top-down and more individual self-censorship. Strange.

I bet the pope doesn’t care about beer or tampon ads.

Also, anybody who leaves ice cream out long enough for it to go off in the summertime is a fool.

11. Kat
    Kat May 26, 2006 at 8:39 am |

Wouldn’t ice cream melt before it went off?

I wonder if the Pope even knows what tampons are.

12. L.
    L. May 26, 2006 at 2:34 pm |

I just said in my own post on this, if I were a Polish feminist, I would be plotting ways to get feminine hygiene products back into the papal visit coverage. (Similar to Ledasmom`s idea above!)

Perhaps I would attend a papal mass wearing tampons as earrings. Better yet, why not make entire rosaries out of tampons?

13. MissPenName
    MissPenName May 27, 2006 at 1:47 pm |

Yeah, I’m going to take advice or follow the rules of a former nazi. Not going to happen.
    I mean, Jesus, where does it end? Abortion. Birth control. Tampons. What’s next, what positions we’re allowed?

14. Fruktkake
    Fruktkake May 28, 2006 at 9:29 am |

A Godly woman is only to use a Maxi-Pad
    I want to make a T-shirt with this on