Friday Not-So-Random Ten

It’s my last FRT in America until August 15th, but I’m bringing the laptop to Greece, so hopefully it won’t be the last FRT of the summer. And in celebration of the last USA-FRT for a while, I’m shaking things up a bit — that is, I’m making this not random at all. Instead, I’m turning it into ten songs that I could listen to over and over again and never get tired of. Because I feel like it.

1. Tom Waits – Old Shoes
2. Bob Dylan – Visions of Johanna
3. The Clash – Janie Jones
4. Pedro the Lion – Rapture
5. Elvis Costello – I Want You
6. Rolling Stones – Factory Girl
7. Magnetic Fields – Papa Was a Rodeo
8. Michael Jackson – PYT
9. Ray Lamontange – Please
10. Pearl Jam – Off He Goes

And now, packing.

14 comments for “Friday Not-So-Random Ten

1. Magis
    May 26, 2006 at 1:38 pm

FNSRT The-not-necessarily-favorites-but-I-couldn’t-imagine-never-ever-hearing-them-again-list

Fanfare for the Common Man—Aaron Copland & London Sym.
    Amazing Grace—Judy Collins

5) Led Zeppelin: Heartbreaker
    6) Beastie Boys: No Sleep Til Brooklyn
    7) Cracker: Low
    8) Hole: Doll Parts
    9) Rolling Stones: Street Fightin’ Man
    10) The Clash: Safe European Home

Let us pause to consider the lyrical brilliance that is Lou Reed: “I’d try to be as progressive as I could possibly be/ As long as I don’t have to try too much.”

3. Arianna
    May 26, 2006 at 3:19 pm

Just as an advance warning, my taste in music sucks, and I can’t think of ten songs I’d listen to over and over. Here’s a shot though.

Johnny Cash – Hurt (arguably one of the best covers ever)
    Oasis – Champagne Supernova
    The Vervepipe – Freshmen
    The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
    Groove Armada – At The River
    Our Lady Peace – 4am
    The Tragically Hip – Wheat Kings

That’s about all I can think of off the bat. To fill the quota of ten, here are thre random songs from my short-ass work winamp playlist.

Our Lady Peace – Naveed
    The Beatles – Yesterday
    Myndflame – MC Raider (yes, I am offically a dork).

4. May 26, 2006 at 3:20 pm

I’m so glad that so many of you youngsters still love the Clash. They never come up on my FRT, even though I have plenty of their stuff. (And Thomas, I LOVE Hole. Just this second, I found that all of “Celebrity Skin” is only $6.98 on Itunes. I lost the old CD in my last divorce, so I just downloaded the whole damn thing!)

And Tom Waits, once again, Jill. Good choice; I think we’ve already discussed the joys of that Elvis Costello paean to obsession and longing.

5. Thomas
    May 26, 2006 at 5:01 pm

Call Jill “youngster” if you like. I remember The Clash when some of their stuff was new. I’m now in my mid-30s with a marriage and a mortgage.

6. haydn60
    May 26, 2006 at 5:07 pm

I remember when Edison’s “Mary Had a Little Lamb” was new. The original, not the remake (artists should really be forbidden from rerecording their old material).

Red Hot Mama – Georgia Melodians
    Bare Pork – Furious Pig
    I’m Not In Love – Talking Heads
    Alphaville – The Monochrome Set
    Anarchy in the UKK – The Boredoms
    Portofino 1 – Raymond Scott
    Homer – Bongwater
    Bermuda (demo) – Bell Sisters
    Love Is the Drug – Roxy Music
    Fire – Lizzy Mercier Descloux

7. May 26, 2006 at 5:16 pm

I’m within a year of 40, marriage and mortgage, and if you were born after the Tet Offensive, son, you’re a “youngster” to me!

The Clash went downhill after Sandinista, I think.

8. Thomas
    May 26, 2006 at 7:02 pm

Well, the Tet offensive does predate me, but not by a whole lot. You were born in the Johnson admin., and I was born in the first Nixon admin., but Jill was born when Reagan was in office.

I can’t wrap my head around the idea that, here in New York, it will become legal next year for someone my age to have sex with a partner who was born when I was in college.

9. zuzu
    May 26, 2006 at 7:07 pm

Shoot, I can’t remember if the Tet Offensive was early ’68 or early ’69. I suppose I could look it up or something.

Mid-30s, mortgage (actually, co-op loan; I own no actual physical anything but I still have a helluva lot of equity), no marriage, no kids.

10. Thomas
    May 26, 2006 at 8:05 pm

January ’68, beginning with the lunar new year. That was when Cronkite pronounced the war unwinnable, and the show of strength forced Johnson to do one of the gutsiest things in American political history: take responsibility for his mistakes, and withdraw from contention for a second full term.

11. zuzu
    May 26, 2006 at 8:29 pm

Ah. Then I’m a whippersnapper in Hugo’s estimation, since I was born in September ’68.

Yet I have an uncanny sense of deja vu.

12. May 27, 2006 at 7:38 pm

Papa was a is my favorite love song!

13. boreds
    May 30, 2006 at 12:58 pm

Ah, someone else has also commented on how brilliant `Papa was a Rodeo’ is. Guess I don’t need to.

But where’s the Will Oldham??