Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. beatnik501
    beatnik501 June 21, 2006 at 8:53 am |

that remins me to the freedom of speech struggle within some people.
    i read somewhere that if you don’t want freedom of speech for the people you despise or don’t agree with,then you don’t want freedom of speech at all.
    and in this case,the fact that coulter based her career in gratuitous,reality-bending truths,and sometimes ,like in “godless”,personal attacks into something so sacred as your relationship with loved ones (to me, the fact that she suggest that the 9/11 widows were “probably” gonna be divorced.is an indicative of her bile).should not keep us from recognizing that it’s a victory for the women rights.
    the fact we hear,see ,or read her in mainstream media.not taking her clothes of,not using her “beauty” but her ideas ( senseless they may be).it’s an indicative of gender health.
    of course i wish there be more progressive-thinking women with the media attention she gets.but i still rather listen to her than watch a pageant contest.

2. EL
    EL June 21, 2006 at 9:49 am |

Same reaction here.

3. EL
    EL June 21, 2006 at 9:50 am |

Whoops, I meant “some reaction” … definitely not “same”.

4. JenM
    JenM June 21, 2006 at 10:05 am |

What I think is interesting about her “Godless” media interviews is how suprised AC is that people aren’t objecting to being called secular. As if she really thinks there’s a huge group of liberals who would say “OF COURSE I believe the world was created in 6 days, how dare you say such a thing just b/c I don’t like George Bush.” As a godless liberal myself if being secular is the worst insult Ann Coulter can think to hurl at me – whatever.

Kinda OT – check out http://www.espn.com Page 2- there’s a column on what would Ann Coulter write if she was a sports writer. Here’s a sample “How do we know he wasn’t on his way to meet a prostitute, anyway?” regarding Ben Roethlisberger. Its hilarious and I think the best way to deal w/AC – b/c as noted after Matt Lauer she depends on people being outraged, when she’s mocked it makes her even crazier.

5. ilyka
    ilyka June 21, 2006 at 2:12 pm |

We’ve all gotta get paid somehow, but I’m not going to support soul-selling just because a woman is doing it. Thoughts?

Well, I did have, but you stole it out from under me right there. I can only tack on my personal experience: Thanks to Coulter’s success in the wake of second-wave feminism, I now have to confront two things when talking to some women to the right of me:

1. The idea that feminism is done, over, has nothing further to contribute, has accomplished all its goals and maybe too many of them, because look, Ann Coulter sells books! To borrow from Twisty, we can all go home now. Weirdly, a good chunk of these women describe themselves as “Susan B. Anthony feminists,” even though that’s going back to the first wave. I guess they don’t like being able to open credit card accounts on their own without a husband’s signature?

2. The belief that it’s hypocritical to call oneself a feminist while criticizing other women–even when those women (hey, it’s Ann again!) are unabashedly hostile in their contempt for feminists. As I had to tell a Republican female commenter a few months back, I’m not going to refrain from saying what I think just because someone votes Republican and has a vagina. I think of this as the “but I thought you believed in sisterhood!” misconception.

I do believe in sisterhood. That’s why when I have something to say about another woman I don’t use misogynist language and I try to limit my criticisms to what she says and does, not who she is as a person, what she looks like, or how much/how little she’s sexually active. That doesn’t mean I have to praise every action by every woman ever, nor that I have to treat every success by every woman ever as proof that we can all go home now.

6. Nomie
    Nomie June 21, 2006 at 5:11 pm |

Oh, Ann. I’m not godless! I have lots of gods!

Seriously though, beatnik501 already hit on what I was thinking. Voltaire is probably tired of being dragged up for internet arguments, but it holds true. Coulter is one of the worst of the right-wing nutjobs, but she should be criticized because of her reprehensible viewpoints and mudslinging – not her gender.

7. ellenbrenna
    ellenbrenna June 21, 2006 at 9:00 pm |

Actually I think Ann Coulter is an ultra radical feminist performance artist who was working to get kicked off television and newspapers by being as offensive as possible and forcing everyone to reexamine their misohynist and racist beliefs.

However in a nice patriarchal twist nothing she says is actually taken that seriously so no one got offended enough to banish her. They chuckled, patted her on the head and gave her a publishing deal instead.

Then she lost her mind. Like a cop undercover, well that is my theory anyway.

8. Natalia
    Natalia June 21, 2006 at 10:37 pm |

And the said thing is, Coulter will probably NEVER be grateful for the women who worked their asses of just so one day, an ungrateful psycho-bitch like her can take it all for granted.

Yeah, I’m posturing… Sue me. :)))))

9. Lacy Danielle
    Lacy Danielle June 22, 2006 at 1:03 am |

A loud mouth does not a feminist make!