Apparently the little ladies are having some trouble weathering the World Cup season, and are in dire need of over-priced spa packages to alleviate the pain of being football widows.
Perhaps I’m primarily irritated with this tired old “girls don’t like sports” thing because I’ve been watching the World Cup religiously, and I know I’m not the only vagina-owner doing so. I was the sole USA supporter last weekend in a room full of Italians, Greeks and Turks (more than half of whom were women) during the USA/Italy match, and was thoroughly upset when Eddie Pope was kicked out of the game (but gloated when we tied). I was punching my pillow when those damned Swedes tied with England last night. And I was really happy when Ghana beat the Czech Republic.
Is anecdotal evidence all that convincing? No. But nonetheless, it seems that other women aren’t exactly enthusiastic about “escaping” from sports:
For the price of $238, “women who want a break from their World Cup-fanatic husbands or boyfriends” can enjoy a two-night resort stay and daylong spa visit. But it seems the demand might have been overestimated. Christiane Martin, whose hotel offers this girlfriends retreat, said, “Unfortunately, we’ve only had two women here yet and so far we have only one more reservation for the rest of the World Cup.”
Ha. Can’t say I’m surprised.
- Someone’s Been Watching Too Much Footballers Wive$ by zuzu July 11, 2006
- Two Girls One Cucumber by Jill February 1, 2011
- Chris Surette: Worst Person in the World? by Jill November 13, 2009
- Talk About a Double Standard. by Jill May 19, 2006
- Why calling out misogyny matters, part 2: When misogyny is used against men by zuzu April 1, 2008