The Best Way to Punish Sexual Offenders

Have them write apologetic letters to their victims.

That’ll teach ’em!

via

This entry was posted in Crime, Sexual Assault and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The Best Way to Punish Sexual Offenders

1. ilyka says:

He had found himself alone with three young women asleep in his hotel room and had fallen into temptation, said the judge.

Because nothing says “Fuck me” like unconsciousness. Nice to know women’s slutty-slut whore vibes are on duty 24/7. They keep going and going and going . . . .

2. Norah says:

Because he’s a “geeky Indian who doesn’t understand Western ways?” I think he understands quite well. He gets off scot-free.

3. Robyn Banks says:

That’s just what I want. A friggin’ letter from my rapist.

4. Robyn Banks says:

“Gas bill, electric bill, letter from the guy who raped me, bank statement…”

5. Thomas says:

The judge got this one backwards. He should issue restraining orders barring contact with the victims. And he should tell this guy that consent is an affirmative state: in the absence of the ability to communicate, it does not exist.

6. Ginger says:

I am SO TIRED of this “well, there were sleeping wimmins all over, so he couldn’t control himself!” BULLSHIT.

7. Barbiturate Cat says:

The judge said there were “exceptional circumstances” – exceptionally what? Fucked up? The only circumstance here is that he raped someone and isn’t being punished for it.

8. piny says:

Well, if you’re going to lie right on a bed like that, I mean, what do you expect people to think?

I second all the what-the-fucks. I can’t imagine what that woman must be going through.

9. ginmar says:

He couldn’t control himself? With judges like that around, even if that were the issue, he bloody well doesn’t have to, does he?

And nothing says control to me like picking a sleeping woman, frankly. Asshole.

10. I’m sure the fact that he’s the son of a millionaire had nothing to do with it.

11. Auguste says:

I hope she carries the letter into his courtroom and lights it on fire in front of him.

Preferably during a televised trial.

12. Sophist says:

Old Bailey Judge Jeremy Roberts said there were exceptional circumstances, such as Modi being a “geeky” Indian not being used to Western ways.

An additional layer of fuckedupness is how bigoted and condescending the judge is being. I guess in his mind all Indians are savages who just can’t be expected to know right from wrong.

13. I think the letter would go a little something like this/

14. Barbiturate Cat says:

Sophist: Oh, those barbaric Indians, not knowing that in civilized society we don’t rape our women! [Well, unless they’re wearing short skirts. Or make-up. Or went out drinking with friends. Or left their house alone. Or dared to breathe. Or existed. But other than that – we don’t rape our women, nosirree!]

15. Ellie says:

I have to say … I get contacted by a lot of guys from India, Pakistan, and the surrounding region on Yahoo, and most of them (the ones contacting me) do think that US women are an easy lay, that we’re all sluts who are asking for it, and if we say “no” we’re just playing with them and we really mean “yes.” This has happened to me at least … well … several hundred times in 5-6 years. A lot of them give me the “but US movies say ____!” line.

So they’re already coming with that “US movies show slutty girls!” mindset. Then there’s the “sleeping girl is fair game” mindset. I’ve had a few guys think that just because I was lying in a bed trying to sleep, I wanted to have sex with them. Their excuse? “I thought you were awake!” (That’s totally what lying in a bed under covers with your eyes closed means!!)

I’m not agreeing with the punishment by any means (just in case it sounds like I’m defending it). I’m more just weighing in on my own experience with both excuses (He’s Indian! and They were sleeping!). I think the guy should be deported. All rapists should be deported. To the moon.

16. Beet says:

Ellie, I think that’s lame. I don’t know what goes on from Yahoo, but US movies don’t show guys coming onto unconscious, sleeping women. The stereotypical Hollywood sex scene was really more true in the ’80s than it is today. And even if he did get a certain idea from movies, he’s 35, which is old enough to know better.

I know lots of geeky south Asians and they aren’t idiots. Guys who hang out on Yahoo looking for women, on the other hand…

17. Beet says:

I just found that the perp The 33-year-old New Delhi businessmen attended school in the U.S. and regularly visited London. Which means the reasoning behind this decision fits better as a joke than a ruling.

If there is a cultural element here it goes back to Mighty Ponygirl’s comment- in India the children of the extremely wealthy do have an entitlement mentality where justice works for them. This judge just proved that’s not only true in India.

18. ginmar says:

I’m sure William Kennedy Smith would agree. It’s so nice that rich guys are safe from the untidy consequences of their actions.

19. Ole Blue says:

Put the Judge in jail for being such an idiot.

20. jonk says:

so what does correct punishment for rape look like? are there people on this list that are anti-prison?

i have some familiarity with restorative justice, but that is usually just for minor property crimes and i would only condone it in violent crimes if the victim bought into the philosophy.

alternatively, i think there is something to be said for vigilantism, as the legal system clearly is incapable of dealing with near anything.

semi-utopically, what might establishing an alternative institution look like to deal with gender related violence?

21. Tony says:

Well, restorative justice is certainly a step in the right direction, but I don’t think any reasonable person thinks that simply a letter written to a victim is sufficient action following a rape. I guess he had to register for the sex offender list, too, which I find abhorrent.

22. Tony says:

And just to be clear, it is sex offender registries I find abhorrent, not that this particular person had to sign up for them. If I were to support such a thing, he certainly seems to be the perfect candidate.

23. D says:

As a preventative punishment, men who are so easily temped could be aided a bit. Just a minor surgery then they’d never have to be worried about being tempted again. Maybe if they’re responsible they can just be required to take hormone antagonist.

24. Ron O. says:

I don’t know D, Rapist can rape even with a limp dick.

To be even more contary, I’m not convinced of the appropriateness of Restorative Justice for rape cases, with admittedly little thought about it yet. First, why should the victim have to rehash the crime and it’s aftermath to the perp? Sounds pretty cruel to the victim to suggest it. Also, how can you make reparations for a violent crime? Property can be repaired or replaced by money, people cannot.

Though you say this should only be pursued by victims who agree to it, I fear a situation would wuickly develop where women would be pressured into it “For their own healing” and it would just result in even more rapists going unpunished.

25. Katrina says:

I have always wondered what exactly what the point of an apology is when someone makes you do it. I am a lawyer, and the only time I would recommend that anyone engage in restorative justice is if they actually care and feel poorly about what they did and want to make it up in some way that is productive.

Having also been raped and sexually abused I can say the following:

I used to really want an apology. It would have meant a lot. But the reason why I wanted an apology was because I wanted someone to say to me that what happened to me actually happened. The problem with what my situation was was that everything was alleged and unproven. The only people that were there were me and him, and everyone else had to choose who they believed. An apology was not as important to me as an acknowledgement – as in I am not making this up, I am not crazy, I did not consent, and it was wrong. In not having that acknowledgement I was made wrong. I disagree strongly with the premise that anyone should ever have to be made to apologize, because an apology means nothing when it comes from someone who is not made wrong it it.

It is in the strength of women that we find healing, not in a judicially enforced apology from a man who is not sorry. I wanted to be not wrong. I didn’t care if he was sorry.

What is healing then? Where is it found?

I am not wrong. Wrong is not my name. My name is my own, my own, my own.”

– June Jordan, Poem About My Rights

This is where healing is… It is in the strength of those who survive, not the weakness of those who perpetuate violence against women, nor in the weakness of those who think an apology will suffice.