Why You Should Marry a Career Bitch

I’m sure that the Forbes article made a few guys kinda nervous about their relationships with working women. But never fear, dudes — even if you marry a working chick, you can totally still benefit! Hipster Pit explains, in a fabulous piece that Forbes enthusiasts willl love. Brilliant.

via Gawker, which also has some choice words for Michael Noer.

13 comments for “Why You Should Marry a Career Bitch

1. August 23, 2006 at 9:44 pm

You know…

My wife is ill. I’ve mentioned it before. She would LOVE to be able to work again, since she had something of a career going before she got sick…

…and I would love her to work again. For lots of reasons – family budget, the fact that a self-fulfilled person is a happier person, etc.

Men can be such fucking morons.

2. August 23, 2006 at 9:47 pm

Heh. And now having read the Hipster Pit article, let me clarify that it’s the fact that she would like to work again that really drives my desire.

Don’t want to sound like a serious version of the Hipster Pit writer.

3. August 23, 2006 at 10:26 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your wife.

4. August 23, 2006 at 10:40 pm

Oh, HP, I thought your article was hilarious – in case you were sensing that I was responding to that.

In fact, it’s so exactly like what some guys might actually say that I felt the need to distance myself ;)

5. August 24, 2006 at 12:43 am

Auguste, I hope your wife recovers soon. And yes, men can be huge morons. *sigh*

6. August 24, 2006 at 1:14 am

Q: What’s the best part about having a working wife?

A: When she comes and cooks dinner for you, hahaha. Another beer, Bob? Honey, could you get Bob another beer?

No, seriously, I’m just getting up to speed on this whole debacle, and this Noer guy sounds like bottom-of-the-barrel scum; but is anyone surprised that the content on Forbes—an outfit that all but shrieks “Rich white Republican!”—isn’t up to snuff in its feminism?

7. August 24, 2006 at 2:15 am

Hey, I should clarify to everybody, cause I didn’t mean to mislead – she’s not in danger. She’s just a bit less-abled, especially when it comes to consistently feeling able to work.

I think she’d hate it if I made it sound worse than it is.

8. August 24, 2006 at 2:27 am

I tried reading the Forbes article but my brain does not go into stupid mode so easily in the morning.

But Hipster was dead on!

9. August 24, 2006 at 4:37 am

Other reasons to marry a working girl:

-Better presents

-Built-in excuse to hire a maid/nanny/gardener/other low-paid help

-Her office’s secretarial pool = perpetual reminder of the competition

10. Julie
    August 24, 2006 at 9:18 am

I love it. That was the perfect response.

11. Frumious b
    August 24, 2006 at 10:46 am

has anyone read the rebuttal on the Forbes site? it irritated me almost as much as the original article. I say almost b/c it was, at least, a rebuttal. The irritating part was the way the author started off addressing women. This isn’t a men vs women career issue. This is an interpreting-gender-neutral-statistics-in-a-way-that-reinforces-tired-old-marriage-stereotypes issue. The rebuttal played into these stereotypes by addressing women, and she missed an excellant opportunity to tell me to do some of the housework.

12. Equus
    August 24, 2006 at 1:28 pm
  13. bmc90
    August 24, 2006 at 2:11 pm

I don’t like to attack people’s ideas on the basis of their appearance, but looking at Mr. Noer’s picture, I don’t think he is going to be consternating over whether to marry any high powered hotties any time soon. In fact, an undereducated homely girl who needs someone with a pocket protector to support her is about his speed.