Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Ian
    Ian September 20, 2006 at 2:14 pm |

Excellent work. Thanks for providing the details for those of us who aren’t there.

2. Rhiannon
    Rhiannon September 20, 2006 at 3:12 pm |

Inovative? Sure… Potential child slave labor? Um…. yeah. I could see parents saying “You MUST play on the merry-go-round or we’ll all die from dysentery (sp?)”

A potential solution to that is to take the Merry-go-round system and make it automatic and not a play toy. Thereby not relying on our/their children to make the water safe to drink.

3. Armagh444
    Armagh444 September 20, 2006 at 6:39 pm |

Rhiannon,

Based on what I’ve run across today, it would be impossible to set the system up to function automatically. The whole purpose of the merry-go-round is to provide power for the pump that brings the water up from the only safe well in a village that has no other source of power.

4. KnifeGhost
    KnifeGhost September 20, 2006 at 7:19 pm |

Automatic in what way?

5. Matt Browner-Hamlin
    Matt Browner-Hamlin September 20, 2006 at 9:47 pm |

Tom Friedman asked some of the participants what their biggest wish would be, if they could be granted one gift from the United States government or an NGO or aid group.

Tom Friedman thought bubble: “I’d say a cell phone powered by sugar-based ethanol.”

6. Ledasmom
    Ledasmom September 21, 2006 at 6:37 am |

Automatic in what way?

Well, you could tie the kids to it.
    Seriously, it doesn’t sound like a bad idea, but I wonder how much play is required to pump and purify the entire water needs of a single town.

7. Alicia
    Alicia September 21, 2006 at 2:46 pm |

i found an article that said an hour of play would pump 1400 liters.

8. Rhiannon
    Rhiannon September 22, 2006 at 9:02 am |

Actually I was thinking about non-battery powered clocks, but eh.. those are ancient history.. no one knows how to make them anymore, plus they always had to be wound up.

If it can’t be made automatic, then it’s just a bad idea.
    I don’t know many kids these days who like merry-go-rounds anymore… I know I was never a fan of them. Plus those things can be dangerous too (part of the reason I never really liked them).

9. Saturday open thread…  « Marisacat
    Saturday open thread… « Marisacat September 23, 2006 at 12:18 pm |

[...] watery pabulum then we had best shoot ourselves.  Pronto. From one of the bloggers As I posted earlier [...]