African Village Bans Domestic Violence

And the village’s matriarch will be speaking at NYU in a few weeks. I’m going to try and make it — anyone else interested? The details:

Umoja: How an African Village is Banning Violence Against Women
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 10TH, 2006. 6:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Kimmel Center, Shorin Auditorium, Rm. 802

M.O.S.A.I.C. (along with NYU School of Social Work, Voices for Choices, Office of LGBT Student Services, Center for Multicultural Education and Programs, Law Students for Human Rights, Pride in Practice, International Students’ Club, International Public Service Association, College of New Rochelle) brings you Rebecca Lolosoli, Kenyan activist and matriarch of the Umoja village. Rebecca believes that violence against women can be ended, and she’s coming to NYU to share her life and work experiences that inform this belief. Read more about Rebecca’s work here.

Rebecca is being brought to New York with the help of MADRE, an international women’s human rights organization based in New York City. To learn more about MADRE, please see: www.madre.org.

The other speaker will be Vivian Stromberg, Executive Director of Madre.
Professor Holly Maguigan (Professor of Clinical Law at NYU) will be introducing the speakers.

The event is a lecture/slideshow/question-answer combination.
Refreshments will be served and Umojan beadwork will be available for purchase.

Questions? Contact: mosaic.club@nyu.edu.

10 comments for “African Village Bans Domestic Violence

1. Uhura
    September 26, 2006 at 8:52 pm

I NEED to send money to this village on a regular basis.

Can you tell me if they have anything set up to accept donations?

I AM SO SERIOUS.

2. September 26, 2006 at 9:01 pm

Sure, I’ll look into it.

3. ilyka
    September 26, 2006 at 9:28 pm

And Jill, if you make it–big long post. Please? For those of us who aren’t exactly in the neighborhood. I am dying to hear more about this.

4. September 26, 2006 at 9:47 pm

I’m planning on going, so I will take thorough notes!

5. September 27, 2006 at 11:13 am

Wow. What a great, bold move on the part of all involved.

Hopefully they make their next step against other forms of violence–it’s still illegal in Kenya to be gay, for instance.

Madre looks like a fantastic organization…

6. September 28, 2006 at 12:18 pm

oh, cool. yes, i’d be interested in attending the talk.

7. piny
    September 28, 2006 at 12:24 pm

Thanks! I’ll forward to friends in the area.

8. Pingback: cheap tadalafil