With little public attention or even notice, the House of Representatives has passed a bill that undermines enforcement of the First Amendment’s separation of church and state. The Public Expression of Religion Act – H.R. 2679 – provides that attorneys who successfully challenge government actions as violating the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment shall not be entitled to recover attorneys fees. The bill has only one purpose: to prevent suits challenging unconstitutional government actions advancing religion.
Read it all. Scary stuff.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- John McCain’s Plan for Women’s Health Care by Jill October 16, 2008
- Dear Dennis Prager, “America” and “Christianity” are not synonymous by Jill December 4, 2006
- The Indiana Statehouse’s Little Talk With Jesus by Lauren December 15, 2005
- Personhood Amendments and the Pro-Life Long Game by Jill November 14, 2011
- “Compromise” on Same-Sex Marriage by Jill February 25, 2009