Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. CatatonicLindsay
    CatatonicLindsay November 7, 2006 at 5:11 pm |

These people are not pro-life. They’re happy to see women dead and maimed in order to forward their political goals. They’re cruel and misogynist, not life-loving.

I think that most pro-coathangers don’t even know that if you took away abortion that women would still go out of their way to get rid of a child they don’t want, but in a more dangerous way. I don’t think the pro-choicers would resort to the disgusting nature of pro-coathangers by parading pictures of women dying/dead from back alley abortions, but I wish some of them would be enlightened and read up on a cause they “care” about. I angers me that they skip around happy thinking they are helping the world by taking away birth control options, but someone needs to sit them down hard on their asses to give them the facts. But those type of people don’t believe in facts, they are very big assumers, that’s why they believe in such absurdities as god. Assholes.

2. Regina
    Regina November 7, 2006 at 5:35 pm |

Actually, I think it’s more that they believe pregnancy is the suitable consequence of having sex. Less about making the world a better place, more about control. All that “life-loving” stuff is window-dressing.

3. Isabel
    Isabel November 7, 2006 at 6:09 pm |

That’s sick and appalling. How the fuck ideological differences trumping public health concerns can be a “moral” choice in these people’s minds is beyond me.

4. Heraclitus
    Heraclitus November 7, 2006 at 7:52 pm |

Hey, Jill this another great post, and an answer to the whole “what is blogging for” thang. Not only do you give a great overview of the situation in Ethiopia and the effects of US policy on it, you summarize and draw attention to a series of articles in The Des Moines Register most of us probably wouldn’t have seen otherwise.

5. Annie
    Annie November 7, 2006 at 8:38 pm |

Rekha Basu is my hero. Hers is the only column in the Register that I ever bother reading. When I’m not interested in reading a biography of Justin Timberlake, or finding out what washed-up redneck bands are playing in Des Moines this month, I flip over to Basu’s column and find something thoughtful and honest. Her Ethiopia diary is bringing so many important global feminist issues to the table, and people are talking about them. She also doesn’t hesitate to draw a direct connection between U.S. policies and their damaging effects all over the world.

So thank you, Jill, for bringing this to the attention to those that don’t have the pleasure of having the Des Moines Register delivered to their doors.

6. arielladrake
    arielladrake November 7, 2006 at 11:30 pm |

See, I’m not so sure it’s that they don’t know. It’s that they think the women who go to all that effort do so because they’re evil, because desperateness is no excuse.

7. Anne
    Anne November 7, 2006 at 11:43 pm |

Eh, they know. They just don’t care.

8. Kyra
    Kyra November 7, 2006 at 11:53 pm |

They probably consider it an improvement if a woman dies from a botched abortion than is unharmed (i.e. unpunished) from a safe and legal abortion. This while calling themselves pro-life. *eyeroll*

9. maatnofret
    maatnofret November 8, 2006 at 1:52 am |

In spite of her party affiliation, my mother has always been staunchly pro-choice. When I asked her why she was pro-choice, she said that when she was a nurse, she saw things that she really did not want to talk about.
    Since she spent a fair amount of time working in ER, I can only guess at what she meant.

10. micheyd
    micheyd November 8, 2006 at 8:05 am |

I’ve heard anti-choicers say that if a woman dies of a botched abortion, she deserves it and it’s her own fault.

So, yeah.

11. johanna
    johanna November 8, 2006 at 10:41 am |

I’ve heard the same, as well as “Of course sex workers get AIDS, what do you expect?”

HOW is it possible that these people have claimed the “moral” high ground?!