Another entrant in the parade of Bush appointees meant to take down the government offices to which they’re appointed: Mary Beth Buchanan, Bush’s new appointee to head the Office on Violence Against Women. From Jessica:
Buchanan’s claims to fame?
She spent $12 million on “Operation Pipe Dreams,” taking down 55 people for selling bongs. This included actor Tommy Chong–in the courtroom, Buchanan introduced his fictional pot-smoking characters as evidence of his “frivolous” attitude towards drug laws.
She’s an anti-obscenity crusader, prosecuting people for written stories on the internet and going after any and all porn. (Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of violent porn and the like, but Buchanan strikes me as more interested in enforcing morality than the law.) The legal director for the Pittsburgh ACLU once called Buchanan “the vanguard of [former U.S. Attorney General John] Ashcroft’s attempt to impose his morality on others.” Yikes.
So basically, this sucks. I can see it now…VAWA funds being diverted to conservative anti-obscenity groups under the rhetoric of protecting women. I am completely freaked out.
Orwell had nothing on this guy.
- Jack Shafer didn’t satisfy the jackass quotient? by evil fizz October 31, 2006
- Who Checks the President, and What Should We Ask Alito? by Jill January 9, 2006
- Sorry, ladies, but your vagina conflicts with my morals. by Jill December 18, 2008
- Newsflash: Crisis Pregnancy Centers Lie to Women by Jill July 19, 2006
- William Saletan: Making a Career of Not Getting It by Jill October 2, 2006