On September 11, 2006, the fifth anniversary of the terror attacks that devastated our nation, a man crashed his car into a building in Davenport, Iowa, hoping to blow it up and kill himself in the fire.
No national newspaper, magazine, or network newscast reported this attempted suicide bombing, though an AP wire story was available. Cable news (save for MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann) was silent about this latest act of terrorism in America.
Had the criminal, David McMenemy, been Arab or Muslim, this would have been headline news for weeks. But since his target was the Edgerton Women’s Health Center, rather than, say, a bank or a police station, media have not called this terrorism — even after three decades of extreme violence by anti-abortion fanatics, mostly fundamentalist Christians who believe they’re fighting a holy war.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Ignoring Anti-Choice Terrorism by Jill July 2, 2007
- The terrorism that dare not speak its name by zuzu April 27, 2007
- Attacking Native Women’s Rights — And Why “Pro-Life” Democrats Aren’t All They’re Cracked Up To Be by Jill March 5, 2008
- What’s Wrong With This Picture? by zuzu December 28, 2006
- Vocabulary Test by zuzu June 9, 2006