Unless, of course, you subscribe to the view that “It’s time for ascended blacks to wish niggers good luck,” because “That which retards us is the worst of “us” … Them being niggers.”
See if you can stomach the rest of it. I’m sure Esquire’s white, wealthy, male target audience will really relate to what John Ridley has to say. Because after all, blaming gangsta rap and single mothers and welfare queens is so much fun.
Ridley also shows the appropriate sympathy for Michael Richards, who was goaded into calling a couple of out-of-control “n-words” what they actually are (“No, I’ll save my sympathy for some real victims. Not a couple of “N words” who walked into a comedy club.”).
Because, you know, hecklers deserve to be attacked for their race, not for their actions. And then we’ll pretend that their race doesn’t at all influence the perception of their actions. Over IM, the ever-brilliant Amanda adds, “The less right you have to talk in the eyes of the hierarchy, the louder you seem. Which is probably why black women are seen as the loudest people ever.”
Esquire article via Dave on the listserve for NYU’s Review of Law and Social Change.
- Republicans continue to ignore voters of color by Jill September 18, 2007
- Private club boots kids who might “change the complexion” of the pool by Jill July 8, 2009
- Monkeys are stealing your money by Jill August 31, 2007
- Mel Gibson Feels Michael Richards’ Pain by Jill November 30, 2006
- New York City to teen moms: You suck, and your kids hate you. by Caperton March 14, 2013