What Ilyka Said

Seriously.

Lord knows I don’t care for Firedoglake, but making fun of Jane Hamsher’s breast cancer is just beyond the pale.

12 comments for “What Ilyka Said

1. January 4, 2007 at 10:58 am

I definitely like her approach, having lived amongst the reactionary weirdos like Jane Gooddall amongst the apes. She knows that they are impossible to shame (if a middle-aged guy hasn’t learned to moderate his vitriol by now, there’s very little chance that a tut-tutting by an anonymous weblog will work), so she just calls in the jets to bomb that treeline like Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now.

2. trillian
    January 4, 2007 at 11:45 am

belledame –

very Dennis Miller

Thank you. He’s been needing to be an adjective, and you used it perfectly.

Sorry, that’s off-topic. But all I got is, what zuzu said (i.e. “what ilyka said”).

3. January 4, 2007 at 11:59 am

VanderLeun is a right piece of work. speaking of “I’m not like other people! i can’t stand pain, it hurts me!” pompous, solipsistic…and that latest is, well. not a surprise, but still shocking.

i’ve found a useful litmus test for people is whether or not they go for the jugular when you’re down. strike viciously at a raw open wound in response to a blow to the ego, or nothing at all. and are capable of doing it with a smile.

4. January 4, 2007 at 1:39 pm

wow. just wow. some people have no humanity whatsoever.l

5. January 4, 2007 at 1:49 pm

the other thing about VanderLeun is, he wasn’t always a reactionary wingnut butthole. he used to be a liberal-libertarian-hippie butthole. and yet, he was still a butthole.

i think some of it isn’t even so much to do with ideology per se as, well, i’m also thinking of say Harlan Ellison, or Woody Allen. Anrgy young man somehow isn’t nearly as charming as angry old man. particularly when for whatever reason they simply stop evolving at some point.

6. January 4, 2007 at 1:53 pm

wow. just wow. some people have no humanity whatsoever.

I’m not sure what’s worse, the fact that that’s so true or the fact that I barely even react anymore because I almost expect it on some blogs and from some people.

7. Mr. X
    January 4, 2007 at 2:39 pm

Dig it: ten years ago or so, this guy presumed to write a book on netiquette. I’m half-tempted to request a copy through interlibrary loan, just to see what pearls of wisdom that this ubertroll felt free to share.

Seriously, though, I think that even one of his former employers might find Gerard’s rank gynephobia objectionable.

8. January 4, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Good thing he’s on the Internets, or he’d be shitting his own teeth.

9. January 4, 2007 at 6:42 pm

In his comments, Gerard is now claiming a “ceaseless thirst for standards for civility.” You really can’t make this stuff up.

His habit of editing the comments of those who disagree with him in order to insert his own inane commentary reminds me of someone else discussed here recently. Publicly, I think my general policy on bloggers who resort to that is going to settle somewhere in the vast gray area between “mock them without mercy” and “ignore them.” Privately, I’ll just continue to wonder how they can stand upright with so little spine.

10. January 4, 2007 at 9:05 pm

I’m not entirely certain that he does, tbh.

he’s a sad, sad little man.

11. scott
    January 5, 2007 at 10:48 am

As Gertrude Stein might say, Belledame, a butthole is a butthole is a butthole…..

12. January 6, 2007 at 3:29 am

I was trying to decide which would be better as a consequence of this post of Vanderleun’s: eternal damnation, or karmic feedback.

And then I remembered that men do, in fact, develop breast cancer….