1. Sophist
    Sophist January 24, 2007 at 8:03 pm |

“…an event designed from start to finish to instill respect for women…”

This instills respect for the women in the same way a sign that says “Stay Off The Grass” instills respect for your lawn.

2. Astraea
    Astraea January 24, 2007 at 10:08 pm |

A great addition to the posts by Amanda and Jill. I’m glad this is getting some attention.

Even the people at the event come right out and say that women are like property: “She told the tale of a person who had waited a long time to buy the car of their dreams, but when the day arrived to drive it home, the dealer told them that the steering had problems, that it had a lot of mileage on it, and had been in a few wrecks. She likened this word picture to sexual purity and the hopes for a future spouse.”

Women who have sex before marriage are just like used cars. How original.

If these men supposedly respect women so much, why can’t they just be told to respect their decisions? Instead it’s all about the man and what he wants.

3. green girl
    green girl January 24, 2007 at 10:47 pm |

I am so glad to have found this blog!

I could not agree more in how the main damage the American Chasity Obession creates is that women are not sexual beings with their own desires, curiosities and lusts. I would gladly support a Slut Ball if one were to come my way!

4. evil fizz
    evil fizz January 24, 2007 at 11:05 pm | *

I was about to say something about how if you own property, you’re responsible for it’s care and upkeep, but it occurs to me, that that is exactly how these people think about women. You are supported by Daddy and then handed off to Husband to present him with your virginity.

Ugh. It’s so gross.

5. The Moderate Voice  » Blog Archive   » Rape: A History

[...]
    by David Schraub

In a discussion on “chastity balls,” Feministe has a great run-down on how rape has historically been conceptualized&#8211 [...]

6. Feministe » Put away dem titties, PurityGirl!

[...] bout Piny
    About Zuzu
    Vintage
    Advertise

« Integrity

Home

1.24.2007

Put away dem titties, PurityGirl!
    Pos [...]

7. Kim
    Kim January 25, 2007 at 1:41 am |

BRAVO!!

8. Alleahna
    Alleahna January 25, 2007 at 1:52 pm |

This was an articulate, concise description of something I’ve been thinking and saying for a long time. Thank you, Piny, for posting this.

It makes me unbelievably ill to think a segment of our populace is sliding back into the dark ages with regard to attitudes toward and about women and trying to drag the rest of us with them.

9. JustAnotherJane
    JustAnotherJane January 25, 2007 at 2:30 pm |

Thank you so much for posting this!

Another area that has not been brought up: God-sanctioned rape.

When I told a friend at my church about my past sexual abuse, she actually told me that “it happened for a reason” and that it was under God’s control, and it was “part of his plan / design.”

ARGH. The insanity. So not only did I get the message all the time from that church that women are objects and invite attacks, but that God plans rapes ‘for his will.’ So even if I could decently ‘prove’ that I didn’t ask for the abuse, I still couldn’t complain because God signed off on it?!

10. Mnemosyne
    Mnemosyne January 25, 2007 at 3:01 pm |

Another area that has not been brought up: God-sanctioned rape.

If it’s any consolation, I once had a (non-religious) person tell me that the reason my mother died of cancer was that she didn’t want to live.

Some people are just assholes.

11. a_human
    a_human January 25, 2007 at 9:39 pm |

I think the forums should be raided.
    (Wo)man the harpoons! We can spam/troll the crazy out of them.

12. Joie
    Joie January 26, 2007 at 2:40 pm |

# a_human Says:
    January 25th, 2007 at 9:39 pm

I think the forums should be raided.
    (Wo)man the harpoons! We can spam/troll the crazy out of them.

Actually, I really don’t like this idea. We’d hate it if they spam/trolled us. If anything spamming/trolling will just polarize the issues further. Trust me. I was one of these people and back in the day if anyone tried to tell me anything that didn’t fit within the confines (and they were confines) of my beliefs they were from the devil and had to be discounted heartily.

13. pmoney
    pmoney January 26, 2007 at 4:31 pm |

Bravo, piny! :)

14. TomCody
    TomCody January 26, 2007 at 6:45 pm |

Excellent post, piny.

15. Bach-us
    Bach-us January 27, 2007 at 6:06 am |

I agree with Joie. I’d rather go Ghandi on them.