The woman had a prescription for emergency contraception from a local hospital, but the medical supervisor at the jail refused to give it to her because it was against her religion. The woman was arrested on Saturday, and sat in jail until Monday afternoon. After being raped, and then denied protection against pregnancy.
Red Stapler sends on this news article, which gives more details about the story.
This happened in Florida, but it’s worth noting that EC access is generally abysmal. Forty percent of rape survivors in Connecticut, for example, aren’t offered EC in hospital emergency rooms. And it’s not just Catholic hospitals that are refusing or not even offering EC — secular hospitals are doing their part, too. All with the backing of “Democrat” Joe Lieberman.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Helpful Maps For Rape Victims in Joe Lieberman’s Connecticut by zuzu May 5, 2006
- The 11th Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Give Healthcare to the Women-folk by Jill September 4, 2007
- On Being a Breed Mare, Part II by Lauren May 1, 2005
- On Being a Breed Mare by Lauren April 29, 2005
- Time to Go, Joe by zuzu March 14, 2006