When In Hole, Stop Digging

Oh, this is priceless. Our buddy Dan Riehl defends himself against charges that the best argument he could come up with against Amanda was that he didn’t want to fuck her by saying that he does, too, want to fuck her — and Jessica, too!

What I was pointing out was that endlessly hurling vulgar insults at men, constantly accusing them of objectifying women, but then going on to post an image of herself compared to a B movie skin princess appears emblematic of the usually disjointed, intellectually immature, confused and obviously un-informed, as well as tragically closed-minded personality type behind so much of Marcotte’s vulgar prose we’ve all read plenty of recently.

That doesn’t mean I’d throw her, or the complaining blogger out of bed.

So cheer up, ladies! Dan Riehl thinks you’re fuckable! Well, except for one little detail about Jessica:

Unfortunately, given this:

She has a Masters degree in Women’s and Gender Studies from Rutgers University

I’ll just assume the self-obsession that propelled her to study herself in college, ugh, carries over to the bedroom so that she’s either A: not much good as a partner, or B: without need of one, as her genderized-naval gazing has broadened since college.

But then most Leftist bloggers always look like they’re playing with themselves, anyway – just as this one was when she wrote her mis-informed post suggesting I said something I never did.

Sorry, Jess. You don’t meet the standards of the Riehl World Love Machine. But he is happy to imagine you typing with one hand.

(Via a comment from the Love Machine himself, here.)

31 comments for “When In Hole, Stop Digging

1. Betsy
    February 6, 2007 at 11:54 am

EEEEEWWWWWWWW.

2. lizzie bee
    February 6, 2007 at 11:59 am

Jeeb.us.

Well, who wouldn’t wanna jump in bed with *that*? Contempt and disgust are TEH SEXY.

3. Bridgetka
    February 6, 2007 at 12:03 pm

Amanda and Jessica will now proceed to wrassle nekkid in a pool of strawberry preserves. Winner gets to suck Dan Riehl’s cock. Get to it, ladies!

4. Chicklet
    February 6, 2007 at 12:04 pm

Jesus H. Cruise. I’d rather be dipped in honey and flung on a bed of fire ants.

5. Bolo
    February 6, 2007 at 12:09 pm

“as her genderized-naval gazing has broadened since college.”

Yes, I too have developed a fetish for sea-going ships since graduating college. I spend many a weekend in San Diego with my binoculars, gazing upon the steel bulwarks of the naval ships in the bay. I, however, do not restrict myself to ships of just one gender–so called “genderized-naval gazing” has no place among true aficionados.

(Navel… sigh).

6. Mnemosyne
    February 6, 2007 at 12:37 pm

Is he still confused as to why Amanda posted the picture comparing herself and Shannon Elizabeth, or is he just pretending to make himself look even stupider than he is?

At that same website, I apparently have a striking resemblance to an Israeli pop star that I’ve never heard of, but if I post my picture and hers side-by-side, I’m not implying that I’m Israeli, or even Jewish. (Unlike Michael Richards, I’m aware that having Jewish friends doesn’t make me Jewish.)

7. DAS
    February 6, 2007 at 1:10 pm

having Jewish friends doesn’t make me Jewish

Why am I so tempted to make a crack or two about Richard “Some of my best friends are Jewish … and they say my step-father is my biological father and that he’s actually Jewish” Wagner?

8. February 6, 2007 at 1:20 pm

What a dickhead.

9. February 6, 2007 at 1:20 pm

A woman studying Women’s and Gender Studies is studying herself? So if an artist studies Art History, is she studying herself? If an African-American studies African-American Studies, is she studying herself? Are old white dudes who study History studying themselves? Hey — aren’t all Anthropology majors “studying themselves?” How selfish!

10. February 6, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Dirty little secret about Riehl. He does not write well. Others do their vicious snark with much greater skill and wit. Read him, if you have the stomach. First time I read his slap at Jessica, his sloppy writing let me think he was slapping Amanda.

11. Fat Doug Lover
    February 6, 2007 at 1:41 pm

He wouldn’t throw them out of bed, but he would say he did after they escaped and ran away.

12. Bitter Scribe
    February 6, 2007 at 1:44 pm

raging red: I think he just means that a woman in a Women’s Studies class is losing valuable time that she could spend in learning how to be more useful and pleasing to men.

13. Aaron
    February 6, 2007 at 1:46 pm

his sloppy writing let me think he was slapping Amanda.

Slapping at, please. I’ve seen blindfolded five-year-olds flail at pinatas with a greater degree of competence at what they’re doing than Dan Riehl is at this. Better form, too.

14. Aaron
    February 6, 2007 at 1:49 pm

Bitter Scribe: I think he just means…

He’s probably just pissed ‘women’s studies’ doesn’t mean cleaning up his jizz rags and making sure there’s always a fresh bag of Cheetos in the cabinet. If you said “Women’s studies? Didn’t they use to call that home ec?” in his earshot, I bet he’d laugh.

15. EoL
    February 6, 2007 at 2:38 pm

I took a class on gender roles for my degree that was basically about women in how they were treated compared to men. (It was a great class. Totally pissed me off.) I don’t know if that means I’m so far gone that I’ve hit the point of “genderized-naval gazing,” but I do watch NCIS every week, and primarily to watch Mark Harmon.

Hmmmm …

16. ellenbrenna
    February 6, 2007 at 2:50 pm

She is studying herself because all women are the SAME but art through out history was produced by men and men are INDIVIDUALS, events were shaped throughout history before the Fall of Civilization, you know 1920, by men and men are INDIVIDUALS worthy of study.

If you were really smart you would know how uninteresting and unwothy of attention women truly are. You know like they do.

17. blondie
    February 6, 2007 at 3:45 pm

If a woman who majors in women’s studies is studying herself, what’s a psychology major studying? Or someone in medical school? Maybe some of these guys should become proctologists, then they could study themselves.

18. February 6, 2007 at 4:57 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that Riehl looks like Lurch?

19. katie
    February 6, 2007 at 5:38 pm

You know, it’s sort of interesting that the exact comment thread that this post spawned out of – is the child of a post that really does little more than point out attractive bloggers and says “hey, these girls are hot and I want them to know that I think they’re hot”… But its alright, because hes on our side.

20. February 6, 2007 at 7:04 pm

I left this in the other thread, but what’s the harm of a repeat:

What everyone forgets is that the Shannon Elizabeth thing was a joke in the first place, funny because Amanda got these results during a regular love/hate fest with Jeff Goldstein, who happened to write lots of conceptual pieces about Shannon Elizabeth at the time.

21. Socraticsilence@hotmail.com
    February 6, 2007 at 7:05 pm

Well, I’d assume that the genderized part implies an affection for mastheads of a particular sex, (after all despite sometimes being named for males, all ships are femenine nouns).

22. Socraticsilence@hotmail.com
    February 6, 2007 at 7:15 pm

But, seriously folks we all know he really just wants to come out and call her a dyke (forgive the terminology, but in this case crudity is necessary to convey the proper feeling– the entire purpose of course of my disclaimer is to pre-empt the sort of witch hunt the Wingnuts appear to be engaged in with Amanda at the moment). Because let’s, face it she’d have to be either Sapphic or a narcissist to pursue a Graduate degree in Gender Studies (though, admittedly this raises an interesting point, that is to say I’d like to see real apply this same paradigm to an African- American Athlete in African-American studies* , somehow I have the feeling even Riehl would see how inherently prejudiced his statements were.)

*Though admittedly most jocks taking the class aren’t exactly pursuing it in order to become the next West, just as most white jocks taking sociology aren’t planning on following in the footsteps of Hoffer. (As, an aside my favorite “Jock Major” was the one pursued by one of my favorite UF Football players “Recreation Management” which honestly sounds like a high-falutin’ term for party planner and/or a drug dealer).

23. February 6, 2007 at 8:26 pm

“Broadened”? Get it? Or was he trying to make a fat joke?

24. zuzu
    February 6, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Oh, we’ve got a loser in the moderation queue who comes right out and says it. Even includes jean shorts and workboots.

25. evil fizz
    February 6, 2007 at 10:35 pm

zuzu, if they’re getting really colorful, perhaps it’s time for another round of “From the Special Moderation Queue!”

We could even have troll bingo cards.

26. kate
    February 7, 2007 at 1:13 am

Thanks for the link, I posted on his comments thread, which actually is pretty damn amusing for the onslaught he’s received. JC makes fun of him as well and of course, he uses JC’s photo shopping of him (donning him as Fred Flintstone for his global warming denials) as an excuse/comparison for his school boy poking of Amanda.

Nevermind that it just underscores how he has apparently been completely unable to understand the context of Amanda’s post and photo.

27. zuzu
    February 7, 2007 at 1:21 am

Actually, I don’t agree with that assessment at all. Alon was being ironic, for one thing, and also pointing out that the “You must be an ugly man-hater!” charge can’t stick to either Jessica or Amanda because both of them are attractive by any conventional standard.

Also, his last paragraph pointed up the absurdity of the standards of someone like Riehl; nothing will make him happy. If the people you hire are unattractive women, they must be man-hating jealous dykes; if they’re attractive, they must be unserious.

28. Esme
    February 7, 2007 at 1:45 am

I started laughing, couldn’t breathe, got something in my throat, and started hacking. Thanks!

29. February 7, 2007 at 8:07 am

What’s funny is when it was pointed out repeatedly to Riehl that a lot of this stuff is a joke and, you know, funny, he called Jessica a bad feminist for being cheeky. Classic double bind. Feminists don’t have a sense of humor! This feminist does and that means she doesn’t take sexism seriously! Feminists are sluts! And they’re man-hating prudes! VAGINA DENTATA!!!!!!

30. blondie
    February 7, 2007 at 9:55 am

But see, as Hitchens has already explained, woman just aren’t funny.

31. February 7, 2007 at 2:44 pm

This guy? Gosh, I’m so sorry you might miss your chance with that. Oh, wait, I’m not.