Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. johanna
    johanna February 13, 2007 at 8:56 pm |

Oh, she’s so delightful. :)

2. Ryan
    Ryan February 13, 2007 at 9:54 pm |

There are local crazy-cons who do the same type of thing as Donohue. One here in North Dakota will call you at work and at home multiple times if you write anything at all about his craptastic newspaper, the Dakota Beacon (which is legendary for its far, far right-wing attacks on Democrats – even saying the Dems supported eugenics).

He doesn’t physically threaten you, but he makes vague overtones towards threats that sound like he’s going to bust in the window at your house with a brick or something. It’s pretty scary – the last time I got a call from him at work I left the building for about an hour.

The thing to remember is that these guys are not able to effect you unless you let them. Calling up opponents and verbally harassing them into silence is a tactic straight out of Karl Rove’s playbook. It puts you on the defensive and it’s incredibly uncomfortable.

Amanda made the choice she felt was right and I support her on that. I just wish Edwards would have stood up and, in much stronger language, said Donohue is just another crazy right-winger that lies about people.

3. Blog of the Moderate Left » The Other Shoe Drops

[...] r views were actually worthy of consideration.  Frances Kissling says she feels Bill Donohue is an abuser, and I would tend to agree; cer [...]

4. TomCody
    TomCody February 13, 2007 at 10:54 pm |

I was saddened to find out that Amanda had resigned but I can’t criticize her for her decision. I can criticize Edwards, for the reasons that everyone else has; He either should have known who he was hiring in the first place and either not hired them or stuck by them. Period. He has only proven to me that he has no spine and is willing to acquiesce to the crazy nuts in the right wing.

*sigh*

Onto Obama…

5. Mnemosyne
    Mnemosyne February 13, 2007 at 11:23 pm |

Yes, after receving death threats and torrents of abuse, both Amanda and Melissa resigned.

Whoo! A win for Team Jesus! High five!

Donohue reminds me of all of the reasons I left the Catholic Church after 30 years of being an at least quarterly Mass-goer.

6. tara
    tara February 14, 2007 at 2:17 am |

I *heart* Rebecca Traister, Salon writer, too, for her consistentl feminist writing.

7. Ancrene Wiseass
    Ancrene Wiseass February 14, 2007 at 2:49 am |

Thanks for pointing this out!

8. Tom Hilton
    Tom Hilton February 14, 2007 at 12:45 pm |

Besides Vanderslice, he also got Rev. Brenda Bartella Peterson fired from a job as religion adviser to the DNC. The pretext for that was that she supported the lawsuit to remove ‘under God’ from the pledge of allegiance.

Interesting that the people he has fired all seem to be women…

9. wiggles