Podcast with Jill!

Jim Milles, who runs Check This Out! podcast, interviewed me yesterday about Feministe. Head over there and check it out. The are a couple things I wish I could go back and do differently. First, I would learn which pronoun Piny is using before talking about hir (I’ve been thinking of and referring to Piny as “he” for so long that it’s a habit, but I should have figured that out ahead of time). I tried to alternate between “he” and “she,” but should have just used “ze,” even though it’s not my first instinct. So, my apologies to Piny for that — I should have foreseen that issue, and responded to it better. Second, I would have had a better idea about which posts were my favorites. To make up for it, here are a few that I like:

Why I’m Pro-Choice
Anti-Choicers: Appealing to Black Women
Post-Abortion Syndrome
Because those bitches is crazy
The Hyde Amendment
The Global Gag Rule is Killing Women

I’m sure there are many more deeper in the archives, but that’s what I’ve got for now. And those are just mine — there are a ton by Lauren, Zuzu and Piny that are outstanding.

Jim was a great interviewer, and he always picks incredibly interesting people to speak with. So scroll down and check out his other interviews, too. Big thanks to him for interviewing me!

Also, I have a really ridiculous voice, and maybe the stupidest laugh you’ve ever heard. So be forewarned that I sound like a nerdy, chuckling 10-year-old.

About Jill

This entry was posted in Blogging, Vanity and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Podcast with Jill!

1. Michelle says:

Jill, you have a lovely voice, especially for someone who was I assume a tad nervous? And it was nice to hear some background on things, too. Apparently I’ve been pronouncing ‘Feministe’ and Piny’s name incorrectly. Sob.

2. BStu says:

I was thinking I had it wrong, too, until Jill pronounced it just the way I had been. Although I guess the point is that there isn’t a wrong pronounciation.

And agreed, your voice is just fine. My voice is pretty, well, youthful as well and I’m far more criticial of it than anyone else is. And the laugh is nothing to be self-conscious about, either. Perfectly normal to me.

3. Tobes says:

Wow, I just realized what a nerd I am. I was like — wow I’m hearing Jill! I guess I have idolized you so long as a feminist blogger that I felt special being able to hear you. It was a fab interview and I’m so glad you got to speak on the autoadmit issue. That is the exact reason I’ve stayed an “anonymous” (hopefully) feminist blogger. Because I fear the trolls. Jill, Piny, zuzu, you are all so brave. I salute you all!

~Tobestalks.blogspot.com

4. zuzu says:

I can’t listen to it right now because I’m at work.

How do you pronounce “piny”? I’ve always pronounced it like piny fresh.

5. Isabel says:

Wait, I can’t listen to it right now either but: what are the proper pronunciations? I’ve always thought “feh-mih-NEEST” and piny rhymes with Minnie as in Mouse. How do you pronounce them?

6. Thlayli says:

I’ve heard your voice in person, and I certainly didn’t think you sounded “ridiculous” or “nerdy”.

(Granted, you might sound different as a digital-audio file.)

7. Jill says:

I say “feh-min-eest” and “pie-nee” (rhymes with shiny).

8. Lauren says:

Dude, your voice is tiny (rhymes with piny).

9. Lauren says:

And by the way, every time Feministe has been featured on the radio there has been the question of how to pronounce it. Of course, I started it before people talked about blogs. Out loud.

10. prairielily says:

Jill, you’re my hero. And you sound older than me; I was once mistaken for a six-year-old on the phone.

11. Z. M. Davis says:

Jill wrote: “I tried to alternate between ‘he’ and ‘she,’ but should have just used “ze,” even though it’s not my first instinct.”

When it comes to gender-neutral pronouns, I actually think the best set is ey/em/eir.

It’s easy to remember, because it’s they/them/their with the th- dropped off.

12. TomCody says:

You sounded fine Jill. I enjoyed the interview. And I’m happy to know I’ve been pronouncing piny’s name correctly in my head:)

13. norbizness says:

#7 is correct. I think this was a topic once before; I proposed the site’s commercial should be a parody of those Egoiste (egg-oh-EAST) commercial where women come screaming out of a Italian villa. I’ll listen later, but will turn up the bass.

14. Z. M. Davis says:

In addition to the similarity with their making ey easy to remember, the resemblence also might possibly make ey the solution that bothers the ear the least (rhymes with Feministe).

15. Jim Milles says:

Jill, you sounded just fine, and not nervous at all. I really enjoyed the interview, and I appreciate your willingness to talk about “the AutoAdmit incident.”

And I still think you should consider being a law professor.

16. prairielily says:

Hey, why doesn’t anyone want to use they/them/their? It’s already informally being used that way, and there’s a precedent with “you” being formerly used as only a plural, right?

17. zuzu says:

Piny is large, and contains multitudes.

18. Jill says:

Because it sounds weird to be answering a question about someone you know and being like, “My co-blogger Piny wrote this great post, where they talked about fat-phobia.” It sounds like you’re talking about a different group of people with the “they,” not the subject of the sentence.

19. I thought your voice sounded fine, and there was definitely nothing wrong with your laugh. I always hate the sound of my voice when I hear it recorded. It’s nasally and husky. Who knew that watching Don’t Look Back like twice a day between the ages of 16 and 18 would have negative consequences? I’m glad I’m not me.

And, because I am Unsolicited Advice Man, I’ll add that I also think you should consider becoming a professor of some sort. If you just don’t think you’d like the relatively narrow focus of most academic work, that’s one thing. But if you have hesitations for other reasons, I don’t think you should. As I said to you in a recent email (suggesting this same thing, coincidentally enough), saying your smart is like saying the sun is a little warm. I’m sure you’d be a great professor/teacher.

20. Hugo says:

Goodness, you sound fine. I haaaate the sound of my voice on the radio; I can never end up listening to the replays.

Very articulate. And I don’t know that many of us are “professional feminists” — but a lot of us are feminists because to one degree or another, we can’t not be. It’s part of who we are whether or not we get paid for it (I do, thanks be to God), and jeez Louise, Jill, it’s sure a part of who you are.

21. zuzu says:

I finally listened to it.

WHY DO YOU LOVE PINY MORE THAN ME? ISN’T THERE A SINGLE POST OF MINE YOU CAN NAME AS A FAVORITE?

I. Hate. You.

22. Jill says:

I’m sorry! I promise I DO love you!

23. As I said to you in a recent email (suggesting this same thing, coincidentally enough), saying your smart is like saying the sun is a little warm.

Of course, this would no doubt mean more coming from someone who can spell “you’re” correctly.

24. piny says:

Feminine pronouns, please. But please don’t worry about it, certainly not in terms of the podcast! Habit is habit. I appreciate you asking.

Heh. Judy Carter has a whole routine about using “they” to keep your coworkers from figuring out you’re a homo. “‘Oh, I had a wonderful time with them this weekend!’ Great! Now they don’t think you’re gay. They just think you’re a big slut!

I liked the one about dyeing your pubes. And the time your dog ate your couch.

Hm. Maybe we should have a “favorites” tag?

It’s piny as in pinyfresh. At least, that’s how I’ve always pronounced it in my head.

25. zuzu says:

Maybe that should be Pine E. Fresh.

What? Too old-school?

26. Julie says:

I thought you had a perfectly lovely voice Jill, although it’s not at all the way I imagined you would sound. I also sound young, I often get asked if my mom is home when people call. I thoroughly enjoyed your interview though!

27. hipparchia says:

i’m listening to it now. you sounded a tiny [rhymes with piny] bit nervous in the first sentence or two, but that disappeared right away and i probably wouldn’t have noticed it if you hadn’t mentioned it.

i love podcasts. thanks for doing this.

[and i’m so glad to know that i’ve been pronouncing both piny and feministe correctly]