Just One Question

Why?

When I saw photos of Travolta in drag on my Yahoo main page, I thought that surely he must be taking over the role on Broadway.

Oh, no.

They’re remaking the movie. Or they’re adapting the Broadway adaptation of the movie for the screen.

Which, why?

Plus, Travolta’s wig is too neat. Edna Turnblad in both film and stage versions was a frowsy, dumpy housewife until Tracy and/or Motormouth Maybelle pulled her into bewigged fabulousness.

I loved the Broadway play (with original cast!), but it wasn’t a substitute for the movie, it was a stage adaptation (plus: Harvey Fierstein!).

That really can’t be put back onto the screen (hell, look what happened to The Producers).

11 comments for “Just One Question

1. evil fizz
    March 23, 2007 at 10:30 pm

Which, why?

Why do you hate men with no ability to choose scripts, zuzu??

Hater.

2. zuzu
    March 23, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Also? Queen Latifah is just too innately glamorous to be Motormouth Maybelle, who’s really supposed to be a middle-aged woman who’s found her own fabulousness through peroxide and DJing.

And where’s Mr. Pinky?

3. zuzu
    March 23, 2007 at 10:41 pm

I should also mention: I think Travolta could rock the hell out the role on Broadway. He’s originally a Broadway guy, after all. But it’s all so Victor/Victoria: a movie, pretending to be a play, pretending to be a movie!

I also think there’s something wrong when John Waters movies get remade.

4. Bruce from Missouri
    March 23, 2007 at 10:52 pm

My understanding (from a co-worker who is musical director from a local musical theatre company) is that this is a movie of the Broadway musical. It has songs the original movie didn’t have, and other changes. The Producers didn’t work because, as he put it “they were playing to the back seats”, and that comes out too over the top in film. So, if they dial it back some, it should work. After all, Chicago and La Moulin Rouge were big successes.

Personally, I don’t have much interest, not being a big fan of musical theater, but he seemed hopeful of the possibilities. Anyway, thought I would give you the perspective of someone who works in the industry.

5. car
    March 24, 2007 at 9:20 am

No. It was perfect the first time. Just…no.

6. March 24, 2007 at 11:19 am

Heh. The only good thing I can say about this remake is that it was filmed in Toronto, leading to some hilarious phone calls from friends “Uh…I think John Travolta is in drag outside my building. WTF?!?”

7. March 24, 2007 at 3:44 pm

I’m looking forward to the movie made from the dramatic Broadway musical derived from the movie musical derived from the stage musical derived from the original John Waters film. By then Ricki Lake could play Edna and Ben Stiller can take over his father’s role as Daddy Turnblad.

8. anna
    March 24, 2007 at 7:23 pm

What do you think of Travolta in the part, if it were a Broadway version?

9. zuzu
    March 24, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Oh, I think he’d be great. He can certainly sing and dance. Given his Tony Manero, I think he can hit the blue-collar Baltimore notes of the show. But at least from the photos, I think the film version has lost that.

10. DAS
    March 25, 2007 at 5:02 pm

they’re adapting the Broadway adaptation of the movie for the screen.

I dunno about this case, but the general idea can work: consider, e.g. Little Shop of Horrors.

11. Jennifer
    March 25, 2007 at 8:05 pm

I am excited! I actually don’t know Hairspray, but I am envouraged any time I see that Broadway is coming to the “mainstream.” Theatre majors will take over the world.