Friday Random Ten — the missed deadlines edition

Yeah, I know it’s two days late. Sorry.

1. Amr Diab – Habibi Ya Nour El Ein
2. Wolf Eyes – The Driller
3. Mark Lanegan – Come to Me
4. The Notwist – Formiga
5. Jay-Z – Change Clothes
6. Dirty on Purpose – Your Summer Dress
7. Tom Waits – Down, Down, Down
8. The Avett Brothers – The New Love Song
9. Chet Baker – There Will Never Be Another You
10. Modest Mouse – Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset

Now, a Friday (Sunday) bonus video. I don’t really even like this song, but it kind of encompasses how I feel about one or two of my ex-boyfriends. Especially the laxative part, because that’s always hilarious. Although if it were me, I’d pee on his toothbrush.*

*No, I’ve never actually done that, but goddamn if I haven’t thought about it. Trust me though, he’d totally deserve it.

About Jill

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Friday Random Ten — the missed deadlines edition

1. I liked her accent. Who’s Amr Diab? You might like some of the stuff here. Free downloads from Issa Boulos, a classical ‘ud composer and player. Not all of it is equally good by any means, but I can’t remember now what’s good and what isn’t.

2. norbizness says:

Do what now?

1. Lament by King Crimson
    2. If It Wasn’t for You by Handsome Boy Modeling School
    3. Submarine by Black Grape
    4. With a Gun by Steely Dan
    5. Suspect Device by Stiff Little Fingers
    6. Ontario by The Posies
    7. L’Enfer des Formes by Stereolab
    8. Revolution Now by Captain Sensible (one of the best names in rock music history)
    9. Miss Jamaica by Jimmy Cliff
    10. The Hump by The Pandoras

3. randomliberal says:

The “My Sisters Rock” edition:

Public Enemy — “You’re Gonna Get Yours”
    Saul Williams — “Telegram”
    System of a Down — “Radio/Video”
    Ozzy Osbourne — “Miracle Man”
    Frances Ruffelle and Steve Shocket — “A Little Fall of Rain” from Les Misérables
    Paul Dukas — “Symphony in C – III. Allegro Spiritoso”
    Trivium — “The Deceived”
    Lamb of God — “Descending”
    White Zombie — “El Phantasmo and the Chicken-Run Blast-O-Rama”
    2Pac — “Street Fame”

Bonus: Cradle of Filth — “Present from the Poison-Hearted”

4. So what exactly is “feminist” about a Friday Random Top 10? Are they somehow forwarding the feminist agenda? Are they pro-feminists groups???

(just kidding, btw. Don’t ban me!!! ;) )

5. Ana CL says:

i JUST posted the habibi song to my blog a few days ago. AHH!! :)

6. Jess says:

I really like this song- lyrics, video, etc. I think its exactly what many girls go through during a break-up. And I think the point, as to how it can be taken as feminist, is the fact that she becomes a stronger woman through it all and just ends up laughing at him and not needing the man in her life.

“Whenever you see me, you say that you want me back
    And I tell you it don’t mean jack,
    No it don’t mean jack
    I couldn’t stop laughing,
    No, I just couldn’t help myself
    See ya messed up my mental health
    I was quite unwell.
    I was so lost back then,
    But with a little, help from my friends
    I found the light in the tunnel, at the end
    Now your calling me up on the phone
    So you can have a little whine and a moan
    And its only because your feeling alone”

I mean, this verse is exactly what Im going through right now. Just breaking up with a boyfriend, I have to realize that when they see you, of couse they will say they miss you, but you have to remember how they messed with your head and your emotions. and without my friends, getting through it would have been a lot more difficult, but now im able to listen to the “i miss you” speeches, and not give in and go hang out, becuase its just that he’s feeling alone. I think this is just one of those songs that you can play loud and want to scream “Take that you stupid boy!”

7. Ace says:

wolf eyes! yes! I think that they changed so much of my perspective on music after I found them one summer. It was weird, but it broadened my perspective on things a lot and made a lot of basement shows a lot more tolerable. You leave art kids with synths and you’ll never know what can happen.

8. Kelsey says:

I love that song.

9. The “Anything to Procrastinate Grading These Papers” Edition:

Mas Rapido, “Christopher Robin’s Dead” (where the hell did this come from, and who the hell is “Mas Rapido”?); Blind Willie McTell, “East St. Louis Blues (Fare You Well);” Doc Watson, “Muskrat” (Live); Bob Dylan, “Ballad of a Thin Man” (Highway 61 Revisited); Elvis Costello & The Imposters, “Needle Time;” Elvis Costello & The Attractions, “The Beat” (kind of an awkward but also kind of an interesting transition); Bob Dylan, “Ballad of a Thin Man” (Live 1966); EC, “Human Hands;” Sonic Youth, “Kool Thing;” Bob Dylan & The Band, “Too Much of Nothing.”

“Ballad of a Thin Man” twice in ten songs? True, like half of my record collection is Bob Dylan, but even so, I think something higher is at work here.

You raise up your head
    And you ask, “Is this where it is?”
    And somebody points to you and says, “It’s his”
    And you say, “What’s mine?”
    And somebody else says, “Well, what is?”
    And you say, “Oh, my God, am i here all alone?”

10. wall-flower says:

Sorry to show my ignorance, but who is this video by? I sorta like this song, even though it’s not my usual type of music. I like that the girl is all cute in her 50’s dresses, but she’s just laughing at all her mean pranks. (tee-hee)

11. Mikey says:

The video is By Lilly Allen. It was a top selling single in England last fall.
    It’s from her album “Allright, Still.”

12. Andrew says:

How weird, they censored the video, but not the audio. Or if they did, they missed.

13. I may be overreacting here, but the first ‘prank’ pulled in that video seems really disturbing to me. Perhaps it’s because I have known several people who were accosted in a similar way, and seen the way even ‘mildly’ getting the crap beat out of you can damage you, long-term.

I know that such a portrayal pales in comparison to the amount of violence against women portrayed in various media, but it still freaks me out. I’d be curious if anybody else had a similar reaction?

14. MS says:

I kind of agree with jeffliveshere; I’m not comfortable with the violence in this video. It doesn’t seem very feminist to me. But the song itself is super cute!

15. Senator Ted says:

Wow, harsh. Funny as hell, but harsh…

BTW – Thanks for the great music selections, it’s always cool to hear what others are listening to.

16. Marya says:

props on the Amr Diab. Love him :-)

17. Laurie says:

OMG! You listen to Amr Diab!!! *loves Jill!* :)

That song has been a big hit in the ME dance community since it came out. You’d probably like “Ya Allem Allah”, too. From the “Tamally Maak” album, if you don’t have it.

*does a happy dance*

18. JH158 says:

amazing – an ex-boyfriend sent me the Habibi song years ago and I’ve never known what it was!

Also, this is a super-late observation, but i hope the beyonce/shakira critics have realized that the lyrics to Beautiful Liar are about as feminist as top 40 gets. i’m not saying the video is…but the message is pretty sisterly, for whatever that’s worth.

19. Tony says:

Jill, I know you’ve put up some Johnny Cash before, but you gotta go off the beaten path. “The Man in Black?” come on now!!

Johnny Cash – Big Iron

20. Jill says:

Ha. Ok, I’ll put some Johnny Cash albums on my Amazon list, and we’ll hope for the best. Recommendations?

21. Rhiannon says:

… wow. I’ve heard this song on the radio quite a bit, but I never actually understood what the lyrics were… and wow. This is a great song.. slightly disturbing video, but great song.

22. Jill, I run the risk of cliche here, but I have to recommend Live at Folsom Prison. Get some John Henry goin’, or whatnot.