1. R. Mildred
    R. Mildred May 15, 2007 at 1:19 pm |

Bill Donahue says to tell you that you should be thankful that you’re not living in afghanistan, otherwise he’d be totally cutting your head off and putting your severed head inside a burqa.

Not that that’s a threat or anything.

Why do you hate catholics?

2. Bitter Scribe
    Bitter Scribe May 15, 2007 at 1:51 pm |

3. Vanessa
    Vanessa May 15, 2007 at 2:25 pm |

John Walker Lindh isn’t allowed to speak Arabic? WTF? Do they think Arabic is like some sort of secret mind-control language or something? Or that he’ll give the air cooties from speaking it?

I mean, I’m no huge fan of John Walker Lindh, but that’s beyond ridiculous.

4. JABbering Stooge  :: Damn. That sucks. :: May :: 2007

[...] rhetoric inspired the Army of God and the likes of Eric Rudolph (who to this day continues to spew his special brand of bile from behind the walls of a federal poun [...]

5. lou
    lou May 15, 2007 at 3:55 pm |

But his terrorism wasn’t just against an abortion clinic. He also killed a tourist at the Olympics. In fact, that was his first terrorist activity. How do these people wrap their warped logic around that?

And imagine if a Muslim terrorist had performed the same act at the Olympics in the US. Would these people have the same shoulder-shrugging response if said Muslim were sending out emails taunting his victim?!

I’d even suggest Rudolph knew he wouldn’t be considered a “hero” for the first act so he committed the others to get sympathy from the wingnut crowd.

6. Mostly Normal
    Mostly Normal May 15, 2007 at 4:07 pm |

Totally and completely insane. And terrifying.

7. Mnemosyne
    Mnemosyne May 15, 2007 at 6:57 pm |

I’m guessing you’re right. A guy with an ego that big needs an audience to worship him, so he gave them what they wanted and is now basking in the adoration, much like Charlie Manson and John Wayne Gacy.

8. Paddy
    Paddy May 15, 2007 at 8:17 pm |

Hey guys, I don’t usually point this out, but since this site is “Feministe” and I am a woman…… I did the Rudolph post, not Cliff.

Just FYI, and I love this site. I lurk, but I do come by.

9. Paddy
    Paddy May 15, 2007 at 8:31 pm |

Thanks zuzu, appreciated.

10. Rachel
    Rachel May 15, 2007 at 9:58 pm |

Great post. The terrorism double standard kills me. Many people even refuse to admit that Eric Rudolph is a terrorist because they have tied terrorism to Muslims. The idea that Christians could be terrorists doesn’t compute with many people–I remind my students about this terrorist and Timothy McVeigh every semester.

11. Aerik
    Aerik May 15, 2007 at 10:11 pm |

I’ve submitted the MSNBC version of the article to the social networking site where I fight rampant sexism every fucking day, Reddit.com, under a title daring users to explain how they think shit like this is just all about protecting babies.

12. Mister Nice Guy
    Mister Nice Guy May 16, 2007 at 12:34 am |

Bitter Scribe Says: There may be a silver lining to this cloud. If the anti-abortion movement keeps getting identified with murderous assholes like this guy, it can only help the battle for public opinion in the long run.

Scribe, that won’t happen so long as anti-abortion terrorism is ignored, minimized and rarely called by its right name.

It’s up to us to get the meme out there: an IED at a women’s clinic is terrorism, terrorism, terrorism.

13. Isabella
    Isabella May 16, 2007 at 10:00 am |

What if a Muslim bombed an abortion clinic?

That would really tie the Right up in knots.

14. Catty
    Catty May 16, 2007 at 3:18 pm |

This type of crap enrages me to no end. They can stop Lindh from speaking Arabic, but thay can’t stop him from tauting his victims? WTF!!!!!

UGHHHH

15. appletree  » Blog Archive   » Wednesday Outrage: Terrorist Edition

[...] the Bush administration more concerned with combating terrorism, or with attacking Islam? Consider this: Christian Terrorist Eric Rudolph, who has killed two peopl [...]

16. Danyell
    Danyell May 16, 2007 at 9:05 pm |

This isn’t freedom of speech. This constitutes threat and harassment.

We all have freedom of speech, but if you hate the neighbors on the left side of your house, and you keep telling the neighbors on the right side of your house that you REALLY (no, really) want to stab them, you might get a visit from some police officers.

Who would I have to try to contact to get some justice here?