1. norbizness
    norbizness May 22, 2007 at 10:58 pm |

Unfortunately, this got the Mr. Sinus (the live Austin equivalent of Mystery Science Theater) treatment; the comedians charged with making fun of the movie could scarcely keep up with the atrocities, not the least of which was Gene Kelly.

But I’d better not hear an ill word against the majesty of the Electric Light Orchestra in this thread.

Oh, and here’s the gatefold of the soundtrack album (slinks off in shame).

2. Noodlegirl
    Noodlegirl May 23, 2007 at 1:22 am |

It seemed like a good idea at the time…

I did see it in the theatre when it came out. I think I liked it, too. I was around 8 or 9. My tastes have (slightly ;) ) improved since. It is great campy fun now though… in bite-sized pieces. I can’t fathom sitting through it in ifull. Again.

3. Frumious B
    Frumious B May 23, 2007 at 9:04 am |

Ah yes, the Muse of Good Head. The Sinus Show was the first time I saw that movie, and no pre-viewing was necessary to appreciate the mockery.

4. Vanessa
    Vanessa May 23, 2007 at 11:32 am |

OMG. Even the 10 month old thought it was hilarious.

5. SingOut
    SingOut May 23, 2007 at 1:13 pm |

It’s opening as a Broadway musical soon. Here’s a link to video footage taken at a rehearsal.

6. SJ
    SJ May 23, 2007 at 3:47 pm |

Ah, this is my inspiration for my thirtieth birthday.

7. Peter
    Peter May 23, 2007 at 4:32 pm |

Ah, I remember this one! I couldn’t get to the movie at all when it came out, but I absolutely loved the soundtrack, and played it all the time. I had heard the basic plotline (pretty cool, really, if done well) and based on the lyrics of the songs, had pretty much constructed an entire movie in my head.

Then years later, I finally saw it. Gack.

It is bad enough when movies are bad. But when movies could have, and should have been good, and manage not even to rise to basic badness (anyone else see Waterworld?), then they are criminal.

8. htotheb
    htotheb May 23, 2007 at 9:41 pm |

I convinced my older sister to take me to see it in the theater when I was about 10. I remember liking it, but don’t remember whether there was a plot of any kind.
    I watched it again about 10 years ago as a “let’s do bong hits and watch it ironically” kind of thing. I still don’t know what this movie was about.

9. Kat
    Kat May 24, 2007 at 11:09 am |

My Xanadu memory is that my friends and I were so utterly motivated to see it that we took a bus to the next town to go see it in the movie theater. The theater was absolutely packed so we ended up sitting on the floor in the front just because we had to see it. We were dancing by the end of it. We of course all had roller skates (that was a given then) so we went home and tried very hard (and ungracefully) to emulate the choreography. We thought it was fantabulous. I wanted so badly to be Olivia Newtown-John. I still have a girl-crush on her to this day. Sigh.

10. Ken
    Ken May 27, 2007 at 6:07 am |

The film and ‘Livi’, particularly, were seriously bagged out here in Oz. So I didn’t see it. But I love dance movies. After seeing your clips I want to see Xanadu now just to see the dance sequences. Thankyou for the clips.