Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

It makes me really sad to put this up because it’s always been Zuzu’s thing, but I’ll carry it forward from now on. Love ya, Zuzu, and best of luck. I’m moving this down on the page so that Zuzu’s post stays at the top.

You know the drill: Post your links and a short description.

18 comments for “Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. June 10, 2007 at 9:23 pm

I wrote about a group of grad students who blew the whistle on their advisor’s misconduct and basically had to start their graduate research from scratch, with a follow-up considering how the community structure of academic science could be changed to make things a little less awful for the people standing up for the truth.

2. June 10, 2007 at 9:38 pm

I discuss the topic of a Baltimore Sun article: how gay adoptive couples and families are moving to Baltimore and getting adoptions here, some from across the Potomac River in officially homophobic Virginia.

3. June 10, 2007 at 9:51 pm

I had two novellas come out this week. And we–my whole family, from the 7 year old up–went to Gay Pride.

4. June 10, 2007 at 9:52 pm

I did the usual Cambodian politics thing. Basically Global Witness released a report on the illegal logging by the ruling elite and instead of attacking the report, the government attacks the NGO and issues death threats!

And here’s a piece on the environment for International Environment Day… it’s like a competition to destroy the planet.

5. June 10, 2007 at 10:05 pm

This week on my feminist gaming blog, I wrote a post discussing the consequences of raunchy alternate costumes in the survival horror game Silent Hill 4. I note the differences between the female characters and the male characters and how the costumes further set them apart — for many different reasons.

6. June 10, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Right at the beginning of the week I talked about Filipina-American identity and the blurry solidarities it produces.

Then a couple of days ago I continued my Phone Booths series on transition, discussing the hard choices involved in transsexual fertility isues.

7. June 10, 2007 at 10:46 pm
  8. June 10, 2007 at 11:22 pm

Everyone likes Battlestar Galactica, right?

9. June 10, 2007 at 11:30 pm

I offer some thoughts about how principles of domestic child welfare advocacy can and should be applied to international adoptions from impoverished countries, and I do a quick drive-by about how much it pisses me off when people call my six-month-old a “flirt.” Oh, and I explain the ending of The Sopranos, ’cause I’m a giver.

10. June 10, 2007 at 11:36 pm

Some topics on my mind (and on my blog):

The importance of humor as a tool for female politicians.
    The pay gap for this year’s class of Harvard graduates.
    The aspirations (hopefully to be quashed) of two Southern judges who produced nearly identical homophobic custody decisions.

And norbizness, I definitely love Battlestar Galactica!

11. June 11, 2007 at 12:29 am

A post discussing the Kenyan government’s crackdown on the Mungiki gang/sect and a conference over water supply problems in Africa.

12. June 11, 2007 at 12:56 am

I did a post about what I think being naked means in society today.

13. June 11, 2007 at 1:30 am

The June issue of Cerise, an online magazine for women gamers (which I edit), went live this week. I’m pretty proud of our second issue. :-)

14. June 11, 2007 at 5:21 am

I came across an intriguing idea for the next Harry Potter installment. Oh, and I moved to wordpress :)

15. June 11, 2007 at 5:43 am

Hear hear – bye, Zuzu.

I posted a story about hospitals providing safety clothing only for the default male body, and being astonished when I spoke up for my right not to get blood on my shoes.

And after a long period of vague and dismissive handwaving, the International Breastmilk Project, under increasingly public scrutiny, finally comes clean about the details of their relationship with for-profit milk bank Prolacta.

16. June 11, 2007 at 6:42 am

By the way, both of Lauredhel’s entries are amazing.

17. June 11, 2007 at 8:36 am

A bright spark in the economics dept. of the Australian National University has decided that supporting women’s bodily autonomy means we don’t care enough about future generations for climate change policies to ever work. I’m, er, unimpressed.

18. June 11, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Man, I miss Zuzu. What a shame.

Steve’s death blew me away.

Rest in peace, Steve.