Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Feministe » O’Reilly Compares Daily Kos to Nazis, KKK

« The Company You Keep

Home

7.18.2007

O’Reil [...]

3. Kyra
    Kyra July 19, 2007 at 12:34 am |

“We won’t be happy until there is no fornication and no abortion.”–Scheidler

Good. He deserves it.

4. University Update
			YouTube
			The Company You Keep

[...]

Link to Article

[...]

5. Will
    Will July 19, 2007 at 12:52 am |

Some really unhappy Jewish people who possibly suspect that they missed the boat and are in the wrong church, don’t want to be reminded that the majority of the world has accepted the true Messiah and they didn’t and they still don’t want to acknowledge that they’re wrong.

Since when is 33% a majority?

Jill, do you know to what extent the local, state and federal governments are dealing with this? It seems like the USAPATRIOT act would give at least the federal government a lot of power to stop this kind of organized violence, if they decided to do so. How much is this reliant on officials looking the other way? Or is it more a violent version of civil disobedience, where offenders just accept serving their time?

6. jeffaclitus
    jeffaclitus July 19, 2007 at 1:06 am |

Yes, hate is good. Only a pansy would talk about things like love and forgiveness.

7. Kyra
    Kyra July 19, 2007 at 1:31 am |

Ugh—the anti-contraception stance is just the purest bullshit I’ve ever heard, and I’ve been listening to these kooks for years now.

“Using people for pleasure?” Try giving pleasure, and receiving it in turn, with nobody being hurt—what the hell could be wrong with that? Pleasure bad because . . . what? It’s arbitrary and utterly, utterly stupid.

I won’t even get into the repeated accusations of lack of respect for his faith, who he is, et cetera, out of the same mouth as comes “we don’t want pluralism, we want theocracy,” and oh so conveniently it’s HIS god that we’re all supposed to follow—selfish much?

But—contraception makes him sick. What the fuck? Preventing Goddess knows how many abortions makes him sick, because they’re not prevented by the means that causes the most deprivation to the people actually affected?

No, shithead. No. If you’re anti-contraception, you’re pro-abortion, far more so than any pro-choicer could be; you’re supporting the placement of millions of “unborn children” in danger of abortion, you’re conspiring to cause epidemics of the overwhelmingly-number-one root cause of abortion: unwanted pregnancy.

It’s the equivalent of driving into a river rather than crossing a bridge, because the bridge is too far upstream to suit your personal convenience or you don’t like the builders of it—and the passengers in the car are the “unborn children” you’re doing your utmost to inflict with the danger of abortion, and the car itself belongs to other people, the women (and men) you’re expecting to give up sex on your say-so that unselfish pleasure is somehow wrong.

Something’s missing in that analogy . . . oh. Right. Add a life-preserver or escape hatch for the driver. Or better yet, a remote control so he can ruin people’s lives without ever even sullying his own.

8. little light
    little light July 19, 2007 at 1:36 am |

Thank you. This was astonishingly comprehensive, and I’ll be keeping it as a reference.

9. Pai
    Pai July 19, 2007 at 1:41 am |

Their founder, Randall Terry, told his followers, “I want you to let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good.”

Oh.my.god.

Words fail me.

10. electric furr
    electric furr July 19, 2007 at 2:06 am |

Reading this right now, all I can do is shudder.

11. jessilikewhoa
    jessilikewhoa July 19, 2007 at 2:27 am |

this was one of the most informative posts ive ever seen about the anti-choice movement. im so glad posts like this are out there, so people can learn the truth about these lunatics.

12. Henry
    Henry July 19, 2007 at 3:18 am |

That is some scary shit right there. It’s funny that Danielle Versluys compared her group to the Corps, considering we’re busy shooting people right now who she’d probably see eye to eye with if they could call their god by the same name.

13. JackGoff
    JackGoff July 19, 2007 at 8:23 am |

Misogynists comparing abortion to the Holocaust in 5…4…3…

14. Dianne
    Dianne July 19, 2007 at 8:59 am |

Misogynists comparing abortion to the Holocaust in 5…4…3…

I don’t know…I’ve always thought that “pro-lifers” were full of it when they claimed that they believed zygotes were the same as adult humans. But maybe they do. Maybe that’s why they find it so easy to kill adults who do work even vaguely associated with abortion and threaten the children of abortion clinic workers. Because, as far as they’re concerned, killing a zygote is no different from killing a person so they feel that, since abortion is legal, they have “permission” to kill people. In which case, they’ll never give up that belief, because that would mean admitting to having committed a grevious sin.

15. Katy
    Katy July 19, 2007 at 9:35 am |

Thanks for this, it is very comprehensive (though a frightening way to start my morning). I worked at a pro-choice sexual health centre at my school for a few years and we had a student challenge the mandatory 60 cent fee he had to pay. His appeal was smacked down by the Judiciary Committee but the attention given to the appeal was picked up by some U.S ‘pro-life’ group, something which was kinda freaky. Terrorists have no care for borders (as exemplified by those who shot the abortion provider in B.C).

Also, how does any of this fit with basic Chrisitan morals? You’d think that Bible literalists would take the whole “thou shalt not kill” thing a bit more literally…

16. Tricia(freya)
    Tricia(freya) July 19, 2007 at 10:08 am |

Thanks, for continuing to write about this. It’s been a rough week. Those asshats have been outside my office window in their red Jesus t-shirts every day at lunch, which makes me want to throw rocks… so far I’ve restrained myself.

The good news is that their turnout seems to be much lower than they were expecting so far.

17. mythago
    mythago July 19, 2007 at 10:43 am |

So, is there any reason we don’t have their home phone numbers, addresses and other identifying information plastered all over the Web? Purely so we can peacefully protest them, mind you.

18. Kristjan Wager
    Kristjan Wager July 19, 2007 at 10:53 am |

Great post Jill.

When a Muslim does something, or says something, bad, many, especially conservative, voices cry out for the moderate Muslims to speak out against such acts.
    Yet, we fail to hear the same conservatives speak out against these conservative anti-choice people. Wouldn’t it be fair to tar those conservatives with guilt by association until they speak out against them?

19. Thomas
    Thomas July 19, 2007 at 11:01 am |

If you want to know who really values life and human rights, think about this: Scheidler, Benham and Terry are still walking around. Gunn and Slepian are not.

If we were the people they say we are, they would already be dead.

20. QLH
    QLH July 19, 2007 at 11:12 am |

If we’re going to have true reformation in America, it is because men once again, if I may use a worn out expression, have righteous testosterone flowing through their veins.

Strange, that I’ve never heard that particular “worn-out expression.” Guess I don’t get out much.

21. NewsCat
    NewsCat July 19, 2007 at 11:16 am |

My employer’s blog Real Women, Real Voices, has a first-person account of the arrest of a woman’s clinic director in Tuscaloosa on Tuesday. The protestors were all over the private property and passing out pamphlets with a picture of the doctor who works at the clinic.

22. Clare
    Clare July 19, 2007 at 11:16 am |

I knew things were bad, but this has truly shocked me. Thanks for writing this Jill, my eyes have been opened!

23. JackGoff
    JackGoff July 19, 2007 at 11:17 am |

Having to be disingenuous never stopped the fundies before, but yeah, mostly the rhetoric is a cover.

24. johanna
    johanna July 19, 2007 at 11:23 am |

Bravo, Jill! This is one of the most informative and damning posts about the anti-choice movement I’ve seen in a long time! I’ll be using it as a reference as well.

25. thegirlfrommarz
    thegirlfrommarz July 19, 2007 at 11:27 am |

I read that Newman article you linked to and am shocked and angry. Surely those terrorist tactics can’t be legal? It’s absolutely vile.

26. anon
    anon July 19, 2007 at 11:39 am |

Going anon for this one because I don’t want it to come back to me publicly. I have a family member who holds positions in both Faith and Action and the NCC. These people are more connected to government than anyone ever suspects. They hold their annual worship service in one of the U.S. Senate buildings, for example.

27. emjaybee
    emjaybee July 19, 2007 at 2:53 pm |

Anti-abortion has become the hiding place for all sorts of hatred, because a baby is a powerful symbol, and if you can convince people that a baby is at risk, they are easier to sway to doing what you want them to do, no matter how violent. After all…it’s a baby!

I say this as someone who used to be swayed by that rhetoric. I’m not sure how to reach others in the movement now (not the vile ones at top, but the rank and file) because all have different motivations. Mine was “protecting babies” and I left when I realized that far more babies and women would be protected in a liberal, prochoice scenario than the one the movement was pushing. (also, I stopped being a fundie…)

I am not sure there is any way to convert the hardcore, authoritarian types, except for resistance and outnumbering.

28. Craig R.
    Craig R. July 19, 2007 at 3:05 pm |

In re use of the USA PATRIOT Act — if there are provisions in it that cold be used, the Dept of JUstice would have to be willing to invoke them.

I don’t think the currenr administration in DC, nor the leadership inthe DoJ are really willing, nor want, to shut these extremists down.

29. Nicole
    Nicole July 19, 2007 at 6:32 pm |

Am I the only one who read this and imagined Emperor Palpatine at a “Pro-Life” rally?

30. Rachel
    Rachel July 19, 2007 at 7:16 pm |

I was thinking of Gordon Gekko, but I can see where you’re going ….

31. K
    K July 19, 2007 at 8:10 pm |

Pavone is also a member of Sam Brownback’s Presidential Advisory Committee.

32. Dianne
    Dianne July 20, 2007 at 3:54 am |

I’m afraid the first image that came to my mind was that of Big Brother and Comrade O’Brian at a “pro-life” rally. They do like two minute hates, don’t they?

33. Cola Johnson
    Cola Johnson July 20, 2007 at 8:23 pm |

That truck stopped on my college campus a few months ago. Saying that I was deeply offended is a gross understatement. I was very nearly moved to violent protest.

34. Cola Johnson
    Cola Johnson July 20, 2007 at 9:11 pm |

@ jeffaclitus…

Yeah, a pansy named Jesus Christ.

35. Kelli
    Kelli July 22, 2007 at 8:00 pm |

How can anyone take these people seriously? I am terrified by the level of hate that they advocate. Perhaps they have not clearly evaluated their own motto: pro-life? Perhaps they should modify it to something along the lines of pro-unborn life. Or maybe they should just read “the moral significance of birth.”

36. Kelli