Amnesty International has dropped its neutral stance on abortion and has taken the position that women are people, too — and that they deserve the basic right to decide when and if they have children.
Christian organisations, including the Roman Catholic Church, have threatened to withdraw support from the group.
The decision in April by Amnesty’s executive committee to support access to abortion for women in cases of rape, incest or violence, or where the pregnancy jeopardises a mother’s life or health was greeted with an outcry by churches.
Nothing says “pro-life” like legally compelling a woman to give birth even if it’ll kill her.
Good on Amnesty. If you’re ever looking for an organization to donate to, they’re a good one. Just make sure you pass on the United Way.
- Shocker: Sam Brownback supports forced pregnancy for rape and incest survivors by Jill June 11, 2007
- The forced pregnancy brigade targets rape and incest survivors and women with health complications in Colombia by Jill May 30, 2007
- Legal Abortion Saves Lives by Jill September 24, 2007
- 11-year-old Romanian rape survivor permitted abortion by Jill June 27, 2008
- College Republicans Diaper Drive at NYU Today by Jill September 26, 2007